Yate Town Chesham United
Nicholas Jones 1 Ben Goode
Elliott Keightley 2 Jeanmal Prosper
Nick Humphreys 3 Kyle Watson
Sam Boulton 4 Adam Martin
Jake Lee 5 Kieran Murphy
Joseph Low 6 Steve Brown
Sam Kamara 7 Dernell Wynter
Joe Guest 8 Billy Adcock
Sam Bell 9 Eoin Casey
Tommy Conway 10 Romario Hart
Aysa Corrick 11 Dave Pearce
Jay Malshanskyj 12 Bradley Clayton
Lewis Bamford 14 Zak Joseph
James Taylor 15 Michael Murray
Kieran Smith 16 Karl Oliyide
17 Mark Kirby
Malshanskyj for Corrick 79 Clayton for Wynter 55
Bamford for Conway 85 Oliyide for Casey 55
Taylor for Humphreys 87 Joseph for Pearce 55
Bell 20 pen, 49 Oliyide 62
Guest 45+1
Conway 77
Low 48 Brown 77
Martin 77

Chesham United Man of the Match: Karl Oliyide

Chesham were given a stark reminder that they can take nothing for granted in this league, as Yate succeeded where Truro failed.  The opening goal midway through the first half changed the game, as the home side grew in confidence while Chesham were rattled and ended up well beaten. There were four changes to the team that beat Truro on Saturday, with Kieran Murphy, Dernell Wynter, Romario Hart and Dave Pearce starting.  There would have been a fifth change but Adam Martin kept his place after Bayley Brown was injured in the warm-up.

On a chilly evening Chesham started the game on top, and Steve Brown headed over in the fourth minute after Adam Martin’s long throw was nodded on.  After a corner was played short Billy Adcock crossed to Romario Hart who headed straight at home keeper Nicholas Jones.  Chesham were looking comfortable but the home side’s first serious attack led to the game’s opening goal.  A neat move down the left saw the ball played in to Tommy Conway in the area, Ben Goode came out to challenge and appeared to play the ball but the referee gave a penalty which Sam Bell converted.  Chesham pushed forward with greater urgency but lost much of their fluency, and Yate were looking dangerous on the break.  Shortly before the half-hour mark Joseph Low broke forward and shot but Ben Goode was able to watch the ball fly past the post, then at the other end Dernell Wynter shot hurriedly over the bar.  Jake Lee then powered in a shot that Goode was forced to parry, but Chesham were caught again in first-half stoppage time.  Sam Bell shot from wide on the left, Ben Goode parried but could not hold the ball and Joe Guest bundled it over the line from close range.

Chesham were still in the game but gifted the home side a third goal early in the second half.  Billy Adcock’s square pass 25 yards out was seized on by Bell, who fired the ball low past Ben Goode from the edge of the area.  Chesham needed a boost and made a triple substitution which nearly paid off immediately, when Bradley Clayton set up Karl Oliyide who rounded the keeper but took the ball too wide and ended up shooting past the near post.  Just after the hour mark Clayton’s low cross from wide on the right was turned in by Karl Oliyide to reduce the deficit.  Chesham showed some life and Oliyide’s angled drive flew wide, then Romario Hart won the ball and shot hurriedly but straight at Jones.  Chesham’s slim hopes of getting anything from the game effectively ended on 77 minutes, when Sam Bell broke away down the home left and squared to Tommy Conway who fired low into the corner of the net from just inside the area.  Chesham looked to find a consolation but Billy Adcock shot high over the bar, then Jones dived to his left to save Karl Oliyide’s effort.  In the last minute of normal time Adam Martin’s shot was deflected out for a corner.