Weymouth Chesham United
Tom McHale 1 Ben Goode
Calvin Brooks 2 Ryan Blake
Jordan Ngalo 3 Luke Warner-Eley
Sam Sherring 4 Lewis Rolfe
Stephane Zubar 5 Kieran Murphy
Jake McCarthy 6 Billy Adcock
Emmanuel Odubade 7 Ronny Mfinda
Josh Wakefield 8 Matt Sinclair
Ben Thomson 9 Eoin Casey
Brandon Goodship 10 Bradley Clayton
Abdulai Baggie 11 Dave Pearce
Cameron Murray 12 Jefferson Louis
Jack Martin 13 Charlie Taylor
14 Jeanmal Prosper
Josh Carmichael 15 Luke Heneghan
Ashley Wells 16 Steve Brown
Josh McQuoid 17
Murray for Zubar 55 Brown for Murphy 76
McQuoid for Odubade 76
Brooks 87 Clayton 49
Goodship 61 Mfinda 41
Brooks 83 Adcock 82
Ngalo 90+3

Chesham United Man of the Match: Ronny Mfinda

Chesham secured a creditable draw against the league leaders and came close to securing a remarkable win.  Weymouth could have clinched the title if they had won and other results gone their way, but Chesham looked the more likely winners for much of the game until the home team bagged a late equaliser. Ben Goode returned in goal after missing last week’s win over Staines, although Charlie Taylor was on the bench as cover.  Jefferson Louis was injured in training in the week and was not risked, so Eoin Casey switched to attack and Lewis Rolfe to the centre of defence with Billy Adcock back in midfield.  Dave Pearce also returned in place of Luke Heneghan, while Jeanmal Prosper was due to return but was injured in the warm-up and replaced by Ryan Blake.

Blake was in the action early on, when his right-wing cross was sliced just wide of his own net by Sam Sherring.  Ben Goode then made a fine save from Abdulai Baggie but the flag was up for offside anyway.  Emmanuel Odubade then sliced a shot well wide, and Baggie crossed to Ben Thomson who side-footed his effort straight at Ben Goode.  However the home side soon realised that Chesham were no pushovers and their play soon began to show signs of nerves.  Chesham were the more relaxed side, and Bradley Clayton’s shot came off a defender to Ronny Mfinda whose effort came back off the bar, after which the linesman raised his flag for offside but it seemed as if Mfinda’s effort would have counted.  In stoppage time Brandon Goodship worked some space on the edge of the Chesham area but shot well over the bar.

In the opening minute of the second half Calvin Brooks set up Brandon Goodship who controlled and shot but Ben Goode produced a fine save to tip the ball round the post.  Stephane Zubar got his head to the resulting corner but headed straight at Goode.  However it was Chesham who took the lead two minutes later, when Bradley Clayton cut inside from out on the right and found the far corner of the net with a well-struck left-foot shot.  Chesham were looking the better side and Matt Sinclair fired in an angled shot that was beaten away by keeper Tom McHale, then Eoin Casey brought down Luke Warner-Eley’s through ball and shot but McHale saved.  Weymouth were posing no threat and Chesham should have doubled their lead on 64 minutes.  Matt Sinclair raced away down the left and shot but McHale parried, but Sinclair collected the loose ball and squared to Eoin Casey who side-footed the ball wide of the near post from close range.  At the other end Baggie shot wide of the near post, then Jordan Ngalo broke forward only to shoot straight at Ben Goode.  Goode then punched away a long-distance effort from Josh Wakefield as the home team’s attacks became more frantic, and their main tactic seemed to be to howl for a penalty every time a home player went down in the area.  However shortly afterwards Kieran Murphy fell awkwardly after trying to block a shot from Ben Thomson, and after a five-minute delay was stretchered off to be replaced by Steve Brown.  However there was still little sign of a home goal, but on 87 minutes Calvin Brooks broke into the Chesham area and unleashed an angled drive into the far top corner of the net.  There were still eight minutes of stoppage time but Weymouth only threatened once, when Ben Thomson looked to break clear down the middle but Ryan Blake got in a well-timed challenge to knock the ball away.