Emirates FA Cup Second Qualifying Round – 22/9/18
Welling United Chesham United
Dan Wilks 1 Alex Tokarczyk
James Hurst 2 Lewis Rolfe
Craig Braham-Barrett 3 Connor Toomey
David Ijaha 4 Matt Bevans
Yannis Ambroisine 5 Ben Walster
Thierry Audel 6 Darren Locke
John Paul Kissock 7 Sam Barker
Jack Jebb 8 Bradley Clayton
Danny Mills 9 Ryan Blake
Gavin McCallum 10 Jefferson Louis
Nassim L’Ghoul 11 Dave Pearce
Arnaud Mendy 12 Oran Swales
Jordan Gibbons 14 Dejon Noel-Williams
Zack Newton 15 Devonte Totesaut
Julien Anau 16 Jon-Jo Bates
Tigana Quebe 17 Max Holland
Nathaniel Pinney 18 Benji Crilley
Charles Banya 19 Richard Platt
Newton for Kissock 63 Crilley for Toomey 79
Mendy for L’Ghoul 80 Noel-Williams for Barker 83
Anau for Ijaha 89 Swales for Rolfe 87
Jebb 35 Louis 29
McCallum 78
Kissock 28 Barker 42
Ijaha 73 Clayton 90+3
Jebb 90+3
Braham-Barrett 90+4

Chesham United Man of the Match: Jefferson Louis

In the end this game went the way of the form book, as Chesham were knocked out of the FA Cup by a team lying fourth in the National League South.  However Chesham can take heart for a much-improved performance in which they threatened for long periods to force a replay.  In the end Welling were time-wasting shamelessly to secure their place in the next round. With Darren Locke fit again but Adam Martin injured, Lewis Rolfe switched to right back in place of Benji Crilley and Connor Toomey came in at left back with Ben Walster in the centre of defence.  Sam Barker returned in place of Jon-Jo Bates, and Jefferson Louis started in place of Dejon-Noel Williams who was on the bench.

In steady rain Chesham made a bright start, and in the second minute a short corner routine led to Ryan Blake heading just wide from Dave Pearce’s cross.  Six minutes later another corner was cleared, Connor Toomey crossed back in and Darren Locke’s header clipped the top of the bar.  Chesham continued to control the game but without creating any chances  However in the 29th minute Jefferson Louis found some space on the left and shot across keeper Dan Wilks and inside the far post to give Chesham the lead.  The goal brought Welling to life and they equalised six minutes later, when Gavin McCallum pulled the ball back from wide on the left and Jack Jebb side-footed into the net.  The home team dominated the rest of the half and Alex Tokarczyk did well to push away a shot on the turn by McCallum.  Tokarczyk then tipped away a cross-shot from Craig Braham-Barrett and pushed away an angled drive from Nassim L’Ghoul.

Early in the second half Gavin McCallum headed over from Jack Jebb’s corner, then at the other end Lewis Rolfe crossed to Jefferson Louis whose far-post header was just wide.  Midway through the half the game began to come to life again, and when Ben Walster’s free kick caught out the home defence but Ryan Blake could only head straight at Wilks.  Welling broke away and Nassim L’Ghoul crossed to Danny Mills whose header bounced away off the body of Alex Tokarczyk.  On 74 minutes Zack Newton appeared to foul Lewis Rolfe to win the ball, but was allowed to carry on and set up Yannis Ambroisine whose shot was deflected over the bar.  Welling were now in control of the game but rarely threatened to break through, until on 78 minutes Jack Jebb’s free kick from wide on the left was headed in at the far post by Gavin McCallum.  The home team now had the initiative and Jack Jebb shot from the edge of the Chesham box but Alex Tokarczyk saved comfortably, then Thierry Audel had a free header from a Jebb free kick but the ball looped up for Tokarczyk to claim.  However Welling were content to waste time at every opportunity late on, and Chesham never looked like finding an equaliser.