Salisbury Chesham United
Liam Armstrong 1 Ben Goode
Kevin Amankwaah 2 Jeanmal Prosper
Alex Lafleur 3 Kyle Watson
Oliver Knowles 18/4 Billy Adcock
Thomas Leak 5 Kieran Murphy
Nathaniel Oseni 6 Steve Brown
Bay Downing 7 Dave Pearce
Lewis Benson 8 Adam Martin
Toby Holmes 9 Eoin Casey
Owen Howe 10 Karl Oliyide
Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick 11 Dernell Wynter
Dan Fitchett 12 Romario Hart
Warren Bentley 14 Bradley Clayton
Daniel Young 15 Zak Joseph
16 Bayley Brown
Marcus Beauchamp 13/17 Mark Kirby
Fitchett for Holmes 72 Clayton for Wynter 68
Young for Hippolyte-Patrick 90+1 Joseph for Pearce 79
Hart for Oliyide 86
Knowles 22 Casey 65
Holmes 61 Oliyide 74
Downing pen 78
Hippolyte-Patrick 45 Oliyide 26
Downing 75 Murphy 78
Oseni 70 Watson 85
Amankwaah 75

Chesham United Man of the Match: Karl Oliyide

Chesham went down to a narrow defeat in a thrilling game against a Salisbury side who are unbeaten since November. This was simply not Chesham’s day as they hit the woodwork twice – once when the ball bounced down onto the line – while the penalty decision that gave Salisbury their winner was soft to say the least. There were three changes to the starting line-up – Adam Martin, Eoin Casey and Dernell Wynter replacing Bayley Brown, Zak Joseph and Bradley Clayton who were all on the bench.

Chesham were the first to threaten when Billy Adcock flashed a long-range effort just wide after a corner was cleared.  Salisbury came close when Toby Holmes headed goalwards from Alex Lafleur’s corner but his effort lacked power and Kieran Murphy had time to clear off the line.  The home side took the lead on 18 minutes, after a low cross from the home left was cleared as far as Oliver Knowles whose low shot from the edge of the area found the bottom corner of the net.  Chesham nearly equalised two minutes later, when Karl Oliyide crossed from the left to Eoin Casey but his shot as blocked by home keeper Liam Armstrong.  Just after the half-hour Chesham were desperately unlucky not to level the scores, when Dave Pearce’s corner bounced around in the goalmouth and Steve Brown’s effort was blocked on the line and Kieran Murphy’s follow-up hit the bar and bounced down on the line but not over it.  Shortly afterwards Kyle Watson’s through ball looked to have sent Dernell Wynter clear, but the striker slipped at the crucial moment and the chance was gone.

Early in the second half, Owen Howe sent Bay Downing clear but Ben Goode came out to save.  Chesham were increasing the pressure but were caught on the break just after the hour mark, when Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick broke away and crossed for Toby Holmes to head in at the far post.  However Chesham pulled a goal back four minutes later when Dave Pearce’s free kick was headed in by Eoin Casey.  Nine minutes later it was 2-2 as Karl Oliyide dispossessed Kevin Amankwaah and broke away to slot past the advancing keeper.  It looked as if Oliyide had simply been too strong for his marker, but the decision to award the goal provoked a lengthy protest from the home players and Amankwaah was booked.  The crowd were also fired up and howled for a penalty two minutes later, when Hippolyte-Patrick went down after an innocuous-looking challenge from Jeanmal Prosper.   However the referee gave the decision, which meant it was Chesham’s turn to protest and Kieran Murphy was booked before Bay Downing converted the penalty.  Chesham again pushed forward and left spaces at the back, and sub Dan Fitchett’s shot flew just over with the aid of a slight deflection.  Deep into stoppage time Zak Joseph’s corner was cleared back to him, and his cross back into the area left the keeper stranded but came back off the bar.