Chesham advanced to the quarter-finals of the Berks and Bucks Senior Cup with this win.  Against their Vanarama National League South opponents Chesham were a goal down at half-time, but turned the game around in the second period.

Having not played since New Years Day Chesham put out a strong side.  There was little action in the opening quarter hour, Chesham being the first to threaten when Shaquille Hippolyte-Patrick cut in from the left but his angled shot flew high and wide.  Shortly afterwards a free kick into the Chesham area was cleared and Rhys Tyler’s shot was comfortably saved by Sam Beasant.  The first real chance of the game came on 35 minutes, when Nana Kyei was allowed to break clear despite being yards offside but shot high and wide with only Sam Beasant to beat.  However the visitors were now on top and took the lead four minutes later, when Sam Beasant produced a fine save from Simo Mbonkwi but the ball bounced up for Mbonkwi to head in.  Mbonkwi should have had a second four minutes later but shot well wide when the ball came to him on the edge of the six-yard box.  Chesham came back with Bradley Clayton finding Karl Oliyide in the area, and Oliyide attempted to side-foot the ball past Luke Cairney but the keeper produced a smart save.

Hungerford went straight on the attack in the opening minute of the second half, and Duane Ofori-Acheampong’s shot was headed behind by Eoin Casey.  However Chesham began to put some pressure on the visitors’ goal for the first time and equalised in the 56th minute.  Lewis Rolfe’s corner was not cleared by the Hungerford defence and eventually Jaden Thompson-Brissett netted from ten yards.  With recent signing Malachy McGovern making his debut as a substitute Chesham were now in control of the game, and scored a fine second goal on 75 minutes.  Karl Oliyide broke away down the right and crossed low, Ronny Mfinda laid the ball off and Bradley Clayton lifted the ball into the roof of the net from just inside the area.  The visitors made a double substitution and showed greater urgency late on but Chesham’s defence held out without any major alarms.

Chesham United Man of the Match: Jaden Thompson-Brissett