Chesham United Gosport Borough
James Hoskins 1 Kingsley Latham
Jeanmal Prosper 2/5 Ryan Woodford
Kyle Watson 3/6 Sam Roberts
Adam Martin 4/8 Theo Lewis
Kieran Murphy 5/9 Matt Paterson
Steve Brown 6/12 Michael Elechi
Karl Oliyide 7/15 Charlie Kennedy
BIlly Adcock 8/16 Charlie Davis
Eoin Casey 9/18 Josh Huggins
Bradley Clayton 10/19 Aaron McCreadie
Dave Pearce 11/20 Tyrell Hamilton
Dernell Wynter 12/2 Dan Strugnell
Zak Joseph 14/3 Rory Williams
Bayley Brown 15/4 Mike Carter
Ronny Mfinda 16/13 Alan Walker-Harris
Mark Kirby 17/14 Lerone Plummer
Joseph for Oliyide 76 Williams for Elechi 45
Wynter for Pearce 82 Plummer for Davis 45
Mfinda for Clayton 85 Strugnell for Hamilton 74
Casey 39, 84
Joseph 80
Kennedy 38
Lewis 90

Chesham United Man of the Match: Jeanmal Prosper

Chesham kept up the pressure on the leaders with a hard-earned and ultimately comfortable victory.  For the first eighty minutes this was a dull affair in difficult conditions, but Chesham set the seal on a workmanlike performance with two late goals. After the League Cup game in midweek Chesham reverted to the team that played Harrow Borough last Saturday with two exceptions – Billy Adcock returned after injury in place of Bayley Brown, and Ben Goode away so 19-year-old Watford academy loanee James Hoskins played in goal.

The match was played in a swirling wind that occasionally meant the ball would not stay still, and Gosport had the wind in their favour in the first half.  The visitors had the first noteworthy effort on goal, a Charlie Davis free kick that was tipped over the bar by James Hoskins.  Shortly before the half-hour Michael Elechi ran down the left and set up Theo Lewis, who shot tamely wide of the near post.  Shortly afterwards Chesham had their first chance when Adam Martin’s low cross was sliced up in the air by a visiting defender, but Steve Brown could only head the loose ball wide.  Chesham were starting to increase the pressure and a Dave Pearce corner nearly went straight in, but keeper Kingsley Latham just managed to tip the ball away under pressure.  The game was starting to come to life and Charlie Kennedy escaped with only a yellow card after a two-footed tackle on Jeanmal Prosper.  However in the next minute Chesham broke through, when Bradley Clayton ran at the visitors’ defence and threaded a neat reverse pass to Eoin Casey who swept the ball into the net past the advancing keeper.

Gosport made a double substitution at half-time but Chesham nearly the doubled their lead early in the second half, but Bradley Clayton fired just over after Steve Brown challenged for a loose ball in the Gosport area.  The visitors began to come into the game more but Chesham’s defence looked comfortable and James Hoskins was rarely called into action.  As Gosport pushed forward Chesham took advantage and sealed the win with a second goal ten minutes from time.  Sub Zak Joseph won the ball inside the visitors’ half and ran on to shoot left-footed into the corner of the net from the edge of the area.  Four minutes later Bradley Clayton won the ball inside the Gosport area and squared for Eoin Casey to score the third.  Gosport had their first shot of the half shortly afterwards but Ryan Woodford blazed over after a scramble in the Chesham area.  Chesham could have had a fourth late on when a defence-splitting pass from Jeanmal Prosper sent Dernell Wynter clear, but Latham came out of his goal to save at the expense of a corner.