Chesham United Farnborough
Sam Beasant 1 Dante Baptiste
Isaiah Jones 2 Louis Paget
Kyle Davison-Gordon 3 John Oyenuga
Kieran Murphy 4 Nic Ciardini
Steve Brown 5 CJ Fearn
Lewis Rolfe 6 Seth Owens
Bradley Clayton 7 Michael Fernandes
T’Sharne Gallimore 8 Sam Deering
Eoin Casey 9 Paul Hodges
Karl Oliyide 10 Ricky Holmes
Zak Joseph 11 Reggie Young
Adam Martin 12 Reece Miller
Rudi Plumer 14 Leo Hamblin
Mark Kirby 15 Tom Leggett
Ronny Mfinda 16 James Whiting
Billie Busari 17/18 Elijah Simpson
Mfinda for Gallimore 45 Miller for Fernandes 25
Plummer for Oliyide 68 Simpson for Miller 81
Kirby for Casey 81 Leggett for Hodges 83
Joseph 12 Ciardini 17
Owens 55
Paget pen 90
Davison-Gordon 17
Gallimore 38
Murphy 45
Rolfe 48

Chesham United Man of the Match: Isaiah Jones

Chesham got their home season off to a disappointing start as they were well beaten by Farnborough.  Chesham dominated the early stages but, after Farnborough equalised against the run of play, the visitors took control of the game and Chesham rarely looked like recovering. There was just one change to the starting line-up, with Kyle Davison-Gordon starting and Lewis Rolfe switching to midfield in place of Ronny Mfinda who dropped to the bench.

Chesham nearly made a dramatic start when Zak Joseph cut in from the left and unleashed an angled drive that had keeper Dante Baptiste beaten but crashed against the bar.  Two minutes later a long-range effort from Lewis Rolfe was tipped round the post by a diving Baptiste.  Chesham’s early pressure paid off in the twelfth minute with a well-worked goal, when Tosh Gallimore and Karl Oliyide combined and Zak Joseph ran clear to slide the ball past the advancing keeper and into the net.  Shortly afterwards the visitors threatened for the first time, and Steve Brown’s clearance hit Kieran Murphy and could have gone anywhere but bounced behind for a corner.  Chesham’s lead was to last only five minutes, as Nic Ciardini powered a 30-yard free kick into the far top corner of the net past Sam Beasant’s despairing dive.  Farnborough controlled the rest of the half but only came close once, when Ricky Holmes’ low cross bounced off Reggie Young at the far post but went harmlessly across goal and behind.

Chesham made the stronger start to the second half with Karl Oliyide cutting in from the right and shooting powerfully but across the face of the goal.  However ten minutes into the half Reece Miller’s shot on the turn was tipped round the post by Sam Beasant, and Ricky Holmes’ corner was headed in at the near post by Seth Owens to give the visitors the lead.  Chesham rarely looked like getting anything out of the game after that, although Farnborough were largely content to sit on their lead.  Ricky Holmes fired in a long-range effort that was just off target, then Louie Paget broke forward and forced Sam Beasant to tip away what seemed to be a mishit cross.  Chesham brought on Mark Kirby as a makeshift striker late on but to no avail.  In the last minute of normal time Bradley Clayton clipped the ankle of Tom Leggett right on the edge of the Chesham area, and the referee gave a penalty which Louie Paget converted to wrap up the win.