Chesham United Haringey Borough
Ben Goode 1 Valery Pajetat
Lewis Rolfe 2 David Olufemi
David Sota 3 Michael O’Donoghue
Adam Martin 4 Scott Mitchell
Kieran Murphy 5 Mark Kirby
Steve Brown 6 Coby Rowe
Dave Pearce 7 Lionel Stone
Harry Pearse 8 Jorge Djassi-Sambu
Jefferson Louis 9 Chinedu McKenzie
Eoin Casey 10 Karl Akinwande
Ryan Blake 11 Charley Barker
Max Holland 12 Michael Ademiluyi
Danny Green 14 Harry Andic
Femi Ogunsola 15 Derek Asamoah
Ronny Mfinda 16
Jerri Maja 17 Austin Mitchell
Maja for Casey 45 Ademiluyi for McKenzie 76
Ogunsola for Louis 90 Andic for Barker 90+5
Green for Martin 95 Asamoah for Rowe 109
Holland for Blake 100
Pearce 14 McKenzie 29
Maja 88 Barker 82
Casey 33 Olufemi 40
Pearse 58 Mitchell 55
Brown 105 Andic 97
Akinwande 45

Penalty shoot-out sequence (Chesham first):

Murphy scored 1-0

O’Donoghue saved 1-0

Rolfe scored 2-0

Ademiluyi scored 2-1,

Green saved 2-1

Asamoah saved 2-1

Pearse saved 2-1

Djassi Sambu saved 2-1

Pearce scored 3-1.

Chesham United Man of the Match: Dave Pearce

Chesham eventually squeezed past Haringey in a penalty shoot-out to advance to the FA Trophy second qualifying round.  Chesham came close to going out against ten men before Jerri Maja’s late equaliser, and eventually came through after Ben Goode saved three penalties out of four in the shoot-out. Chesham’s starting line-up and bench were unchanged from Saturday’s drawn tie, whereas Haringey made four changes.

The visitors were the first to threaten, when a low cross from David Olufemi bounced around in the Chesham area before Ben Goode dropped on the ball.  After a Dave Pearce cross eluded visiting keeper Valery Pajetat and the incoming Eoin Casey, Chesham took the lead in the fourteenth minute when a neat through ball allowed Dave Pearce to run on and beat the advancing keeper.  Pajetat then saved a shot on the turn from Jefferson Louis, but the game then went into a quiet phase before the visitors equalised shortly before the half-hour.  Another cross from the right was not cleared and eventually Chinedu McKenzie hooked the ball past Goode from ten yards.  Tempers then threatened to boil over in the later stages of the half, not helped by some curious officiating.  In the last minute of the half Haringey’s Karl Akinwande was shown a straight red card after catching Steve Brown with an elbow in an aerial challenge, which many people in the ground thought was deliberate.

Early in the second half Jefferson Louis broke clear down the right, and shot past Pajetat but also just past the far post.  However Chesham could not make the most of the man advantage and Haringey had most of the play but without looking likely to score.  On 73 minutes a left-wing cross from Ryan Blake appeared to strike David Olufemi on the arm in the penalty area but nothing was given, then Lewis Rolfe crossed and Dave Pearce hit the ball first-time back across the goal and past the post.  However Haringey took a surprise lead on 82 minutes, Charley Barker shooting first-time into the roof of the net from the edge of the area.  Chesham increased the tempo but two efforts from Jefferson Louis were comfortably saved by Pajetat.  However in the 88th minute Jerri Maja touched in a low left-wing cross from David Sota to equalise.  In stoppage time Chesham looked to have won it when Maja crossed to Jefferson Louis, who seemed to have a tap-in but a defender just got a touch on the ball first.

In extra time Chesham began to exploit the man advantage.  Ryan Blake got behind the defence on the right and pulled the ball back to Dave Pearce who could only side-foot wide.  A change in the competition rules meant that Max Holland became Chesham’s first-ever fourth substitute, and he nearly made an immediate impact when his shot on the turn was tipped away by Pajetat.  Holland then had a shot cleared off the line after Haringey’s defence failed to clear Dave Pearce’s cross.  Chesham dominated the second period of extra time and had a great chance to win it late on, when Harry Pearse advanced to the edge of the area and shot past Pajetat but just wide.

Chesham were always ahead in the penalty shoot-out thanks largely to Ben Goode, although Pajetat kept Haringey in it with a couple of smart saves of his own.  There was a bizarre incident when Dave Pearce came forward to take Chesham’s fifth penalty, as the linesman thought that Pearce had previously been substituted so could not participate, but eventually order was restored and Pearce kept his nerve to convert the decisive kick.