Basingstoke Town Chesham United
Tom McGill 1 Ben Goode
Dean Stow 2 James Hammond
Rob Gerrard 3 David Sota
Charlie Kennedy 4 Adam Martin
Dan Bayliss 5 Kieran Murphy
Ben Wright 17/6 Steve Brown
Sam Smart 7 Billy Adcock
Harry Pearse 8 Bradley Clayton
Sam Argent 9 Ronny Mfinda
Sam Deadfield 10 Eoin Casey
Zidan Akers 11 Dave Pearce
Drew Matthews 12 Jefferson Louis
Dan Collier 14 Luke Heneghan
Shane Hollamby 15 Ryan Blake
Liam Hunt 16 Femi Ogunsola
Jim Orvis 6/17 Michael Murray
Collier for Pearse 61 Louis for Mfinda 71
Matthews for Akers 76 Blake for Pearce 87
Hollamby for Kennedy 76
Argent 35 Casey 33
Wright 45+1 Brown 57
Mfinda 63
Gerrard 14 Casey 74
Bayliss 54
Argent 66

Chesham United Man of the Match: Bradley Clayton

This win means that Chesham are out of the relegation zone at Basingstoke’s expense.  After taking the lead Chesham had a bad spell at the end of the first half in which they conceded twice, but in the second half they took control of the game and ran out worthy winners. There were three changes to the team, with Luke Warner-Eley absent having become a father during the week so David Sota returned.  The other two changes saw Billy Adcock and Dave Pearce recalled in place of Jefferson Louis and Ryan Blake, with Ronny Mfinda pushed up front with Eoin Casey.

Conditions did not make for good football with a bumpy pitch and a swirling wind, but both sides had chances early on.  Basingstoke’s Zidan Akers fired in a shot that was comfortably dealt with by Ben Goode, while at the other end Ronny Mfinda fired an early shot across goal from out on the left.  On 15 minutes a Dave Pearce free kick was pushed out by home keeper Tom McGill as far as Kieran Murphy, but his shot hit team-mate Steve Brown and bounced away.  Basingstoke threatened once again when Ben Wright played the ball through to Harry Pearse but Ben Goode saved smartly at the feet of the former Chesham man.  Home keeper Tom McGill was making his debut and he and his defence were struggling to deal with corners, and on 33 minutes Dave Pearce’s left-wing kick was headed in at the far post by Eoin Casey.  However the lead was to last only two minutes, when Zidan Akers’ cross from the left touchline was headed in by the unmarked Sam Argent.  Chesham came back with Bradley Clayton running into the home area only to shoot high and wide, then Casey again got his head to a Pearce corner but Dean Stow headed off the line.  However in first-half stoppage time Sam Argent played the ball square towards Ben Wright, Steve Brown’s attempted interception missed the ball and Wright ran on to slot past Ben Goode to give the home side the lead.

Early in the second half a snap shot on the turn from Ben Wright flew just over, but after that Chesham took control of the game.  They equalised on 57 minutes with another header from a corner, this time Dave Pearce put the ball in from the left and Steve Brown rose at the far post to score his first goal for the club.  Five minutes later Ronny Mfinda’s header from a Dave Pearce free kick was tipped over by McGill, then the resulting corner was cleared and crossed back in and Ronny Mfinda forced it home for his first goal for the club.  The home team complained about a non-existent offside, then three minutes later their anger was increased when Sam Argent was sent off although he could have little complaint after a two-footed tackle on David Sota.  Chesham still had the upper hand, and another Dave Pearce corner found the head of Steve Brown but his downward header was kicked off the line.  The home team rarely looked like getting back in the game although Dean Stow hit a 35-yard free kick just over, the referee giving a corner although Ben Goode did not touch it.  Four minutes from time Basingstoke’s last chance came and went, when a Drew Matthews cross came to Sam Deadfield but his angled drive flew past the far post.  Chesham should have wrapped the game up late on when a blocked clearance sent Adam Martin clear, Martin drew McGill then squared to Jefferson Louis who lifted the ball over the bar with the goal gaping.