Aylesbury United Chesham United
Archive Davis 1 Jonathan North
Anthony Ball 2 Sam Jenkins
Jake Bewley 3 David Sota
Jack Wood 4 Adam Martin
Derek Feyi 5 Mark Kirby
Mark Riddick 6 Steve Brown
Ollie Hogg 7 Sandro Costa
Greg Williams 8 Ronny Mfinda
Melvy N’somi 9 Romario Hart
Sonny French 10 Zak Joseph
David Manu 11 Dernell Wynter
David O’Connor 12 Eoin Casey
Lewis Osbourne 14 Karl Oliyide
Jordan Jenkins 15 Dave Pearce
16 Jeanmal Prosper
17 Michael Murray
Jenkins for Wood 45 Casey for Brown 45
O’Connor for Feyi 67
Osbourne for Williams 67
Wynter 32
Kirby 58

Chesham United Man of the Match: Mark Kirby

Chesham eased their way into the next round of the Southern League Challenge Cup with an ‘away’ win against groundsharers Aylesbury United. There was little to cheer a small crowd on a wretched night, but Chesham took a first-half lead which they never really looked like losing. Five players were rested after Saturday’s win over Yate, three of whom were on the bench but not used.

In a swirling wind and steady rain Chesham controlled the first half, and in the third minute home keeper Archie Davis just beat Zak Joseph to the ball after Steve Brown headed down Adam Martin’s free kick.  Mark Kirby had a shot tipped over, then headed just over from a Dernell Wynter corner.  Sandro Costa then had a shot that was just off target, then Aylesbury had their best moment of the match when Anthony Ball sent David Manu clear but Jonathan North came out quickly to save at the striker’s feet.  However Chesham continued to dominate with Sandro Costa and Zak Joseph going close, but the game’s only goal was something of a gift.  A low cross from Sandro Costa prompted a mix-up between goalkeeper and defender, who each left it to the other and Dernell Wynter netted from close range.  Late in the half a 30-yard drive from Ronny Mfinda was just wide.

Chesham took off Steve Brown who sustained a cut to the face in the first half, but Eoin Casey slotted in well as his replacement in the centre of defence.  Early in the second half Dernell Wynter’s shot was deflected for a corner, and another corner caused a mad scramble in the home area with three shots blocked in quick succession.  Aylesbury began to come into the game in the final quarter, but only threatened when David Manu cut in from the left and shot wildly high and wide.  As the home side pushed forward late on Chesham broke away and a fine run from Sandro Costa ended with a shot that Davis dived to his left to save, then in stoppage time Zak Joseph seized on Eoin Casey’s long clearance but could only shoot into the side netting.