Chalfont St Peter 1-1 Chesham United (3-4 pens)

Chalfont St Peter 1-1 Chesham United (3-4 pens)

Postby Simon N » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:35 pm

Red Insure Cup Second Round - 18/11/14
Chalfont St Peter Chesham United
Mikey Pearce 1 Shane Gore
Sam Grayley 2 George Fenton
Anthony Lennon 3 Connor Wood
Liam Fowler 4 Alex Brown
John Carroll 5 Darren Purse
Connor Hayes 6 Toby Little
Terrell Lewis 7 Nathan Poulton
Hicham Benmadani 8 Mark Bell
Kurt Morlese 9 Ryan Blake
Myles Stephenson 10 Simon Thomas
Asen Valchev 11 Dave Pearce

Daniel Edwards 12 Inih Effiong
Alex Paine 14 Jack Mace
Arjet Memishaj 15 Tom McConway
Alan Hedley 16 Eman Rowe
Daniel Hughes 13/17 James Beasant

Memishaj for Hayes 65 McConway for Bell 77
Hedley for Stephenson 72
Paine for Carroll 83

Stephenson 69 Blake 66

Penalty shoot-out sequence:
Valchev scored 1-0
Little scored 1-1
Grayley missed 1-1
Pearce scored 1-2
Hedley scored 2-2
Thomas scored 2-3
Memishaj scored 3-3
Purse scored 3-4
Morlese saved 3-4 (end)

Chesham United Man of the Match: Connor Wood

Chesham had to overcome a spirited performance from Chalfont to reach the last 16 of the Red Insure Cup via a penalty shoot-out.

With Ashley Smith suspended and Liam Malone missing due to work commitments, Chesham changed formation with three central defenders and two wing-backs in Mark Bell and Connor Wood. Against a team that had won their previous four games Chesham dominated the opening half-hour, but had little to show for it apart from a couple of long-range efforts from Mark Bell and Toby Little which were off target. Towards the half-hour Chalfont’s Asen Valchev’s long-range shot was tipped over by Shane Gore, then Terrell Lewis was allowed to run clear despite seeming to be well offside only to slice a shot wide of the near post. Chesham’s best effort of the half came when Alex Brown headed just over from Dave Pearce’s corner.

Early in the second half Myles Stephenson broke away down the left but sliced his effort high and wide from the edge of the area. Shortly afterwards Ryan Blake headed goalwards after the home defence failed to clear a corner, but Terrell Lewis hacked clear. Just after the hour mark Sam Grayley mishit a shot, but the ball came back to him and his second effort flew over from a good position. On 66 minutes Chesham took the lead with the game’s one moment of real quality, when Ryan Blake’s solo run down the left ended with a right-foot shot that beat keeper Mikey Pearce at his near post. However the lead was to last only three minutes, as Chesham’s defence failed to clear their lines and Myles Stephenson shot into the roof of the net from the edge of the area. Chesham took control of the later stages although Chalfont still looked dangerous on the break. Alex Brown headed goalwards from Mark Bell’s corner but the ball was hacked away, Toby Little’s long-range effort was tipped over by Mikey Pearce, Dave Pearce’s shot was turned behind by his namesake, then Mikey Pearce produced another flying save to keep out a snap shot from Ryan Blake. However the game finished in a stalemate and went to penalties. Chesham had the early advantage after Sam Grayley’s effort hit the bar and went over, and when Shane Gore dived to keep out Kurt Morlese’s effort Chesham had won without needing to take their last kick.
Simon N
South Midlands Regular
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Return to 1st XI

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest