Corby Town 1-1 Chesham United

Corby Town 1-1 Chesham United

Postby Simon N » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:56 pm

Corby Town Chesham United
Paul Walker 1 Shane Gore
Connor Kennedy 2 Ashley Smith
Kalern Thomas 3 Toby Little
Paul Malone 4 Alex Brown
Jamie Anton 5 Darren Purse
Ben Milnes 6 Liam Malone
Greg Mills 7 Nathan Poulton
Cleveland Taylor 8 Mark Bell
Elliot Chamberlain 9 Ryan Blake
Spencer Weir-Daley 10 Simon Thomas
Wilson Carvalho 11 Dave Pearce

Curtis Hartley 12 Inih Effiong
David Clarke 13 James Beasant
Shane Byrne 14 George Fenton
Harry May 15 Connor Wood
Tommy Wright 16 Eman Rowe

Byrne for Carvalho 71 Fenton for Smith 64
Hartley for Thomas 80 Wood for Bell 74
Wright for Mills 80

Taylor 48 Little 45

Mills 62 Poulton 19
Smith 64

Chesham United Man of the Match: Nathan Poulton

Chesham put last week’s FA Trophy performance firmly behind them with a much-improved display against second-placed Corby. This was an afternoon of mixed feelings as most Chesham fans would have taken a draw before the start of play, but there was a feeling of disappointment given that Corby’s Paul Walker was much the busier of the two keepers and Corby’s goal was a poor one to concede.

There was only one change to the starting line-up, Mark Bell coming in for Ryan Towner who has joined Barnsley. Fortunately the heavy rain that swept the country stopped in the early afternoon and the game was played in dry but windy conditions. Chesham made a bright start and in the second minute Ryan Blake’s angled drive from the right was tipped away by Paul Walker. Five minutes later Toby Little’s 30-yard free kick beat Walker but came back off the post. Ryan Blake headed over from Dave Pearce’s corner, then Nathan Poulton crossed from the left and Simon Thomas’ header was parried by Walker and the loose ball scrambled way from Ryan Blake. After 14 minutes Dave Pearce took a corner short to Ashley Smith, whose cross found Darren Purse who could only head over. Corby threatened for the first time when Ben Milnes crossed to Spencer Weir-Daley who missed his kick from ten yards out, then Greg Mills’ corner found Milnes at the far post and his shot was tipped over by Shane Gore. Weir-Daley then shot well wide from a dangerous position on the edge of the area, but Chesham continued to create chances at the other end. A Simon Thomas header sent Ryan Blake clear to lob over Walker but also over the bar, Thomas then glanced a header wide from Toby Little’s cross and Alex Brown headed a Dave Pearce corner straight at Walker. On the half-hour Greg Mills crossed from the home left and Elliot Chamberlain glanced a header against the far post. Chesham finally broke through in the last minute of the half, when Ryan Blake was fouled by Jamie Anton and Mark Bell and Dave Pearce dummied over the free kick leaving Toby Little to curl the ball into the net past Walker’s right hand.

However Chesham’s lead was to last barely three minutes of actual playing time. Wilson Carvalho crossed low from the right, Darren Purse failed to connect with an attempted clearance and Cleveland Taylor was left with a tap-in at the far post. Corby went on to enjoy their best spell of the game, but could only manage a long-range effort from Kalern Thomas that Shane Gore saved comfortably. Midway through the half Ryan Blake crossed low from the right only for Simon Thomas to be denied by a tackle from Connor Kennedy. The pace of Pearce and Blake continued to trouble the home defence, and seven minutes from time Nathan Poulton found Ryan Blake on the left and Blake’s angled drive was tipped away by Walker. In the next minute Walker produced his best save of the afternoon to tip away a rising drive from Dave Pearce. Corby brought on player-manager Tommy Wright but to little effect, while Chesham continued to look the more dangerous but failed to carve out another chance late on.
Simon N
South Midlands Regular
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Return to 1st XI

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest