Cambridge City 1-2 Chesham United

Cambridge City 1-2 Chesham United

Postby Simon N » Sun Mar 16, 2014 8:49 pm

Cambridge City Chesham United
Zac Barrett 1 Shane Gore
Tom Pepper 2 John Kyriacou
James Brighton 3 Toby Little
Nick Beasant 4 Laurie Stewart
Lee Chaffey 5 Darren Purse
Josh Beech 6 Scott Thomas
Robbie Burns 7 Dave Fotheringham
Adam Martin 8 James Potton
Kelvin Bossman 9 Chris Dillon
Adam Marriott 10 Drew Roberts
Josh Dawkin 11 Bruce Wilson

Andrew Phillips 12 Daniel Brathwaite
Jackson Ramm 14 Stephan Hamilton
Ieuan Lewis 15 Inih Effiong
Louis Lee 16 Jeanmal Prosper
Neil Midgley 17 Alex Brown

Phillips for Bossman 73 Brathwaite for Potton 77
Lewis for Burns 73 Effiong for Roberts 82
Lee for Martin 78 Prosper for Wilson 87

Marriott 24 Potton 18
Roberts 37

Bossman 38

Brighton 36

Waitrose Man of the Match in association with the Bucks Examiner: Bruce Wilson

Chesham made it eight wins in a row with this win over play-off chasing Cambridge. Chesham made a bright start but were pegged back when the home side equalised. However the game changed on 36 minutes when Cambridge’s James Brighton was sent off for bringing down Drew Roberts, who eventually scored from the resulting penalty. After that Chesham were in control of the game and the home side never looked like staging a comeback.

Chesham’s starting line-up was again unchanged, Inih Effiong returning on the bench after his loan spell with Hayes & Yeading. On a hard bouncy pitch with a few bare patches Chesham made the brighter start, and in the tenth minute John Kyriacou and Drew Roberts combined and Dave Fotheringham’s left-foot shot was just wide of the near post. Chesham took the lead with a fine goal on 18 minutes, John Kyriacou overlapping to send in a cross that James Potton headed in at the far post. Two minutes later Dave Fotheringham played a one-two with Drew Roberts and fired in a shot that was saved by home keeper Zac Barrett. Cambridge threatened for the first time when Adam Marriott picked he ball up on the left but sliced his shot high and wide. However the home side equalised on 24 minutes with an equally well-worked goal, Tom Pepper playing a one-two with Robbie Burns and crossing for Marriott to score at the near post. Cambridge then had their best spell of the game, Kelvin Bossman glancing a header wide from a James Brighton corner and Robbie Burns firing in a shot that Shane Gore stretched to tip over. However on 35 minutes Lee Chaffey missed his clearance, which allowed Drew Roberts to run clear only to be brought down from behind by James Brighton for a clear penalty and a red card. Roberts’ kick was saved by Barrett, but in the ensuing scramble John Kyriacou challenged for the ball which fell for Drew Roberts to net. Cambridge seemed to think that Roberts was offside even though the home defenders had got back in numbers and the linesman was perfectly placed to judge, and Kelvin Bossman was extremely lucky to escape with a yellow card after verbally and physically abusing the official. Cambridge came back with Josh Dawkin firing over, while at the other end Toby Little crossed and James Potton shot over at the far post. Late in the half Laurie Stewart left a long clearance from Barrett and Mossman stole in, but Shane Gore turned away the resulting shot.

The early stages of the second half were fairly quiet with Chesham content to sit on their lead. Just after the hour mark a good move down the right ended with a hurried clearance to Scott Thomas whose shot was deflected away for a corner, which Bruce Wilson took and Darren Purse put a free header straight at Barrett. Midway through the half Nick Beasant turned a Chris Dillon cross just wide of his own goal, then Toby Little crossed low from the left to Drew Roberts who missed his kick at the near post. Cambridge had a brief moment of pressure, Beasant volleying a Josh Dawkin corner over at the near post, then Josh Beech’s speculative effort flew just over. Late in the game Bruce Wilson pulled the ball back from the right and Toby Little shot right-footed past the far post, then Beasant misjudged the flight of a Scott Thomas through ball which allowed Inih Effiong to run clear but Barrett got a touch on the resulting shot which was just wide. At the end of the game a section of the home fans seemed determined to blame their defeat on the officials, who left the pitch to a volley of abuse.
Simon N
South Midlands Regular
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Return to 1st XI

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest