Chesham United 4-1 AFC Totton

Chesham United 4-1 AFC Totton

Postby Simon N » Sun Nov 24, 2013 6:16 pm

Chesham United AFC Totton
Shane Gore 1 Joe McCormack
John Kyriacou 2 Chris Ferrett
Daniel Brathwaite 3 Liam Triggs
Laurie Stewart 4 Lewis Ross
Danny Gordon 5 Rob Flooks
Scott Thomas 6 Liam Hibberd
James Potton 7 Jamal Branker
Steve Wales 8 Chris Onofriou
Chris Dillon 9 Taylor Edwards
Drew Roberts 10 Luke Roberts
Bruce Wilson 11 James Jennings

Inih Effiong 12 Zac Mouland
Dave Fotheringham 14 George Branford
Toby Little 15 Sam House
Alex Brown 16 Andrew Bridge
Mark Lambert 17 Alex Moth

Lambert for Gore 16 Mouland for Edwards 58
Effiong for Dillon 71 Branford for Hibberd 62
Fotheringham for Wilson 80 Bridge for Jennings 67

Gordon 28 Flooks 45+5
Roberts 54, 77
Potton 70

Waitrose Man of the Match in association with the Bucks Examiner: Drew Roberts

Chesham overcame the early loss of Shane Gore to stroll to a comfortable win over struggling Totton. Chesham took a while to come to terms with having Mark Lambert as a stand-in, but after Drew Roberts restored Chesham’s lead early in the second half it was simply a question of how many Chesham would win by.

With Chris Dillon passing a fitness test Chesham fielded the same line-up as at Margate the week before. Chesham started the game brightly but Totton’s first attack after 11 minutes had an unexpected consequence, as Luke Roberts’ shot passed harmlessly over the bar but Shane Gore suffered a back spasm as he stretched to cover the shot. After lengthy treatment it was clear that Gore could not continue, so Mark Lambert came on and went straight into goal. Chesham were still adjusting when Jamal Branker curled in a right-wing free kick to Luke Roberts who missed his kick at the far post, but Chesham regrouped and were soon back on the attack. After 28 minutes Bruce Wilson’s corner was headed out, Steve Wales lifted the ball over the defence and Danny Gordon controlled and scored with a neat finish. James Potton had an angled drive tipped away by keeper Joe McCormack, and Danny Gordon headed just over from the resulting corner. Steve Wales set up Chris Dillon who pulled the ball across goal, then a great run down the by-line from James Potton ended with a pull-back that Drew Roberts hit past the far post from close range. At the other end Mark Lambert dealt competently with a Luke Roberts cross and a Jamal Branker corner, as the visitors came back into the game but without threatening. However there were six minutes of stoppage time and in the fifth Totton were awarded a highly dubious free kick, which Jamal Branker curled to the far post and Rob Flooks headed in for a shock equaliser. There was still time for Steve Wales to set up Bruce Wilson who shot into the side netting.

Early in the second half Laurie Stewart headed wide of the near post from Bruce Wilson’s corner. Chesham were showing a few signs of frustration, but in the 54th minute Steve Wales squared from the left and the ball ran to Drew Roberts who drilled home from the edge of the area to restore Chesham’s lead. Three minutes later James Potton dribbled into the area and was clearly tripped, but rode the challenge and the referee waved play on. After 63 minutes Drew Roberts’ left-foot drive was tipped over by McCormack. Steve Wales took the resulting corner which was hacked away at the far post, but not until after the ball had crossed the line although nothing was given. Three minutes later the referee again enraged the home fans when Steve Wales was tripped inside the area by George Branford but nothing was given. After 70 minutes a neat passing move set up Steve Wales who rounded the keeper only for his effort to be blocked on the line by Liam Triggs, but the ball ran to James Potton who tapped in Chesham’s third. Seven minutes later Steve Wales ran at the heart of the visitors’ defence and slipped the ball through for Drew Roberts to drive home the fourth. Nine minutes from time Mark Lambert was forced to tip over a long shot from Jamal Branker, but was otherwise untroubled. Chesham were still on the hunt for more goals, Drew Roberts having a free kick tipped over by McCormack, then Steve Wales’ corner came to Laurie Stewart at the far post who could only knock the ball over the bar. In stoppage time a Steve Wales free kick was headed out to Inih Effiong whose shot bounced just wide, then Effiong sent Steve Wales away down the left and the resulting cross was hit first-time by James Potton but again just off target.
Simon N
South Midlands Regular
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Return to 1st XI

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest