Chesham United 2-1 Weymouth

Chesham United 2-1 Weymouth

Postby Simon N » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:30 pm

Chesham United Weymouth
Shane Gore 1 Jason Matthews
John Kyriacou 2 Barry McConnell
Daniel Brathwaite 3 Michael Walker
Laurie Stewart 4 Danny Clay
Danny Gordon 5 Nathan Walker
Scott Thomas 6 Sam Poole
James Potton 7 Luke Burbidge
Steve Wales 8 Dave Allen
Chris Dillon 9 Stewart Yetton
Drew Roberts 10 Ben Joyce
Bruce Wilson 11 Scott Walker

Inih Effiong 12 Matt Groves
Dave Fotheringham 14 Mark Ford
Toby Little 15 Ashley Wells
Alex Brown 16 Luke Winsper
Mark Lambert 17 Matt Cafer

Little for Potton 37 Ford for Clay 29
Fotheringham for Wales 81
Effiong for Roberts 84

Dillon 2 Joyce 56
Wales 14

Waitrose Man of the Match in association with the Bucks Examiner: Bruce Wilson

Chesham extended their winning run to nine games and clinched a place in the third qualifying round of the FA Trophy. Chesham established an early hold on the game with two goals in the opening quarter-hour, and Weymouth threatened a comeback early in the second half but Chesham saw off the danger and saw out the last quarter in relative comfort.

Chesham’s starting line-up was unchanged for the fourth game running. There were only 77 seconds on the clock when Chris Dillon gave Chesham the lead, picking up the ball midway inside the opposition half and advancing to shoot left-footed into the corner of the net to the left of keeper Jason Matthews. Weymouth had the wind in their favour in the first half, but it proved to be of little advantage as their through balls either went out for a goal kick or were collected by Shane Gore. Chesham tried to keep the ball on the ground and were rewarded with a second goal on 14 minutes, Drew Roberts sending Steve Wales clear to slot the ball past Matthews. Chesham could have scored again when Drew Roberts slid in to meet Bruce Wilson’s low cross but could only knock the ball over the bar, then a dipping effort from Steve Wales had Matthews in trouble but flew just wide. On the half-hour Weymouth threatened for the first time when Stewart Yetton was in space on the left and tried to find the far corner of the net, but Shane Gore anticipated and dived on the ball. Chesham came back and after a free kick was only partially cleared, James Potton crossed and Chris Dillon was denied by a desperate late challenge. Potton was then forced to go off after trying unsuccessfully to recover from a dead leg sustained in the opening minutes. Late in the half Weymouth’s Luke Burbidge tried a long-range shot that hit the side netting.

Early in the second half the visitors began to stretch the Chesham defence for the first time, and on 56 minutes Luke Burbidge set up Ben Joyce whose shot flew into the top corner of the net giving Shane Gore no chance. Two minutes later Toby Little crossed from the left to Drew Roberts who could only put the ball over the bar. There was a spate of chances at either end, Shane Gore saving from Mike Ford, then at the other end Chris Dillon was through and chipped over Matthews but wide of the far post, and Drew Roberts shot over the top from just outside the area. Midway through the half Shane Gore dived to tip away Stewart Yetton’s shot, then another Yetton shot was parried by Shane Gore into the path of Sam Poole who could only knock the ball over the bar. That was to be the visitors’ last chance as Chesham looked the more likely to score late on. Toby Little went on a fine run down the left and let fly but his shot was deflected behind, then Drew Roberts’ shot was deflected away for another corner. In stoppage time Chesham broke away and Toby Little cut in from the right and shot wide of the near post.
Simon N
South Midlands Regular
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Return to 1st XI

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest