Chippenham Town 0-3 Chesham United

Chippenham Town 0-3 Chesham United

Postby Simon N » Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:32 pm

Chippenham Town Chesham United
Ben John 1 Shane Gore
Stuart Tovey 2 John Kyriacou
Jack Allward 3 Daniel Brathwaite
Ross Adams 4 Mark Lambert
Greg Tindle 5 Danny Gordon
Iain Harvey 6 Scott Thomas
Joe McClennan 7 James Potton
Harley Purnell 8 Steve Wales
Joe Lennox 9 Chris Dillon
Alan Griffin 10 Drew Roberts
Luke Murden 11 Bruce Wilson

Tom Knighton 12 Inih Effiong
- 13 James Beasant
Joe Tumelty 14 Toby Little
Shane Blackmore 15 Laurie Stewart
Lee Phillips 16 Alex Brown

Knighton for Lennox 60 Effiong for Potton 69
Tumelty for Murden 60 Little for Brathwaite 69
Blackmore for McClennan 75 Brown for Thomas 85

Roberts 12, 29, 56 (pen)

Waitrose Man of the Match in association with the Bucks Examiner: Drew Roberts

Chesham cruised to a comfortable victory thanks to a hat-trick from Drew Roberts. Chesham were always in control after Roberts’ first goal on 12 minutes, and apart from one early chance Chippenham never looked like scoring.

With Dave Fotheringham ruled out by the injury sustained in Tuesday’s win over Cambridge City, Bruce Wilson returned to the starting line-up. James Beasant, who is only occasionally available because of work commitments, was on the bench. Chesham played up the slope in the first half and were soon in control of the game, and in the seventh minute Danny Gordon challenged for a Steve Wales corner and the ball hit a defender and went just wide. Three minutes later Chippenham had their only real chance of the game, when Chesham’s defence hesitated over a long clearance from Ben John and Joe Lennox’ attempted lob beat Shane Gore but clipped the top of the bar. However two minutes later Steve Wales was brought down by Greg Tindle five yards outside the Chippenham area, and Drew Roberts lifted the free kick over the wall and into the net at the near post to give Chesham the lead. A long ball found Drew Roberts on the left but his lob was off target, then Roberts shot across goal as Chesham continued to dominate. On 29 minutes a neat through pass from Steve Wales found Drew Roberts on the edge of the area, and this time Roberts lifted the ball over the advancing keeper and into the net to make it 2-0. On 37 minutes home striker Alan Griffin headed over from a Joe McClennan free kick, but Chesham still looked more likely to score and a Bruce Wilson corner came off a defender to Daniel Brathwaite who could only shoot over the bar from close range.

Ten minutes into the second half Drew Roberts had the ball on the left touchline, cut in towards goal and was sent flying by a despairing tackle from Luke Murden for a clear penalty. Chris Dillon handed the ball to Roberts who easily beat John to complete his hat-trick. Midway through the half McClennan crossed from the home left, and Shane Gore got a touch on the ball which came off the head of Tom Knighton and over the bar. The game was long since over as a contest but there was still an edge to the game, including one flare-up between Drew Roberts and Greg Tindle in which Tindle had his arm round Roberts’ neck, but the referee somehow managed to get through the game without a single yellow card. Chris Dillon forced a diving save from Ben John with a header from John Kyriacou’s cross, then Bruce Wilson’s quick free kick allowed Toby Little to reach the by-line and pull back to Drew Roberts whose shot was blocked. Late in the game Alex Brown made his competitive debut after being an unused sub on nine occasions. In stoppage time Inih Effiong ran in from the left and fired in a shot that bounced away off the body of the goalkeeper.
Simon N
South Midlands Regular
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Return to 1st XI

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest