FA Cup Draw

any topics for discussion concerning the Southern League, South Mids, or Midweek Youth

FA Cup Draw

Postby Giles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Chesham have been drawn away to Great Yarmouth in the FA Cup, which is due to be played on Saturday 2 September.

All I know about Great Yarmouth is that they have the oldest football stand in the country.
Giles
Under 18's

Re: FA Cup Draw

Postby stewart » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:45 pm

Ground near the beach just north of the main attractions in this old-school seaside resort. Pier, joyland, pleasurebeach, hippodrome, amusement arcades, crazy golf, chips, chips and more chips (especially in the market place in the town centre) etc....

Watching the game is not possible from behind one goal and you're miles away from the pitch behind the other one but we could make a lot of noise from the stand or from the small terraces and benches in front of it.

Definitely worth a summer break with the family or a boozy weekend - can we get a good support up there for this one?
stewart
Under 14's

Postby Giles » Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:46 pm

Looking into getting a supporters coach to Great Yarmouth, will confirm by end of this week, but who would be interested in travel by coach, with a potential leaving time of 9:00, giving us some time to spend in Yarmouth before the game.
Giles
Under 18's

Postby Giles » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 pm

Due to a low number of people expressing interest in travelling to Yarmouth on a supporters coach and a high cost for hiring one, it's is with regret that no supporters coach will be run to Yarmouth.

I believe that their might be a small number of seats available on the team coach, with an update from Brian in regards to availablilty in next day or so, please check in away travel section for details
Giles
Under 18's

Postby Mickeygee » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:56 am

Blimey Giles, you didn't give supporters much time to respond before you scrapped the idea !
Mickeygee
1st Team Squad

Postby chairman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:45 am

At present the club has 10 spaces available on the team coach which departs the club at 9.30am. Please see " away coach travel" on the club forum for details
chairman
Under 17's

Club: Chesham United

Postby MartinW » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:28 pm

Mickeygee. It can be a very short time between getting a quote from a supplier to having to commit to signing a purchase order. With the bank holiday upon us I would expect that the coach company would have been needing a full commitment 7 days before travel. If you would like to underwrite potential losses then I am sure the coach would have run.

No ?

Once again I assume you are just happy to take pot shots from the sidelines
MartinW
Site Admin

Postby Mickeygee » Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:17 pm

MartinW: A bit unnecessary Martin, I thought.

When I own the Club, I will be happy to personally underwrite coach travel to away games and fund free admission to a pre-season game, aimed at showcasing The Meadow and our great club, Chesham United. Until then ..…….

Your public and somewhat offensive ‘usual pot shot’ comments to a Supporters Trust member don’t help.

One man’s ‘pot shots’ may be another man’s well-intended constructive suggestions aimed at seeking improvement in the supporters’ experience or Club finances etc. What’s wrong with that ? Do we want ideas or don’t we ?

Without a number of people giving their time volunteering to help the club in various ways the club could not function.
I regret that, unlike you and others, I am unable to do that but, like others, I try to be supportive in different ways.
Try and see the positive side, please.

Rant over.
Mickeygee
1st Team Squad

Postby stanley » Wed Sep 13, 2017 2:37 pm

Crikey Mickeegee ole Martin went a bit over the top didn't he? Must have got out of bed the wrong side or maybe a closet Chelsea supporter........hmmmmm my bet is on the latter.
stanley
Under 12's

Club: qpr

Postby Mickeygee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:30 am

Or perhaps both Stanley !

A few people have said they thought it was an unfair and rather rude comment - I'm surprised your post hasn't been deleted because an earlier supportive one was. Very disappointing, but not to worry,

Martin is usually an affable guy so I assume I've touched a nerve at some time. He certainly has misunderstood my motives.
Mickeygee
1st Team Squad

Postby MikeW » Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:18 am

Mickey. Have you considered that your response to Giles might easily be construed as a public and somewhat offensive criticism of a Supporters' Trust Member; who was trying on his own initiative to provide a service for fellow supporters?

I wonder whether Giles might think twice in future about offering to help out, given your comments.

Volunteers are critical to the success of the club and we all need to be careful, across the whole club, to appreciate what they are prepared to do, rather than knock them back.
MikeW
Under 17's

Postby Mickeygee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:12 pm

I wouldn't worry too much about Giles, MikeW - he's a jovial, robust sort of character who likes a joke, so I doubt he'd see anything offensive in that post.
If he did, God knows how he will have felt about Alan's very funny tease about coach booking arrangements, which I'm sure most people thought was hilarious !
Mickeygee
1st Team Squad

Postby RyanW » Thu Sep 14, 2017 5:38 pm

Hi mickeygee,

I suppose there is one question left unanswered here? Why would it take you owning the club to offer to underwrite/sponsor a coach, I'm sure your fellow supporters & the Supporters Trust would be more than grateful. Especially if it increased away support at a game where normally we would have struggled to travel in numbers. Example of this would be a coach like the Frome FA Trophy coach season before last which ran half full and had to be underwritten. 50 people travelled that day when normally we take 15/20 to Frome on Saturday.

More than happy to discuss coach travel with you at any home game
RyanW
Under 17's

Postby Mickeygee » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:28 pm

Priorities dear boy, priorities !

No doubt this will be labelled a 'potshot' but I would divide the cost of the coach by the number of people travelling on it - and everybody would have to pay their share - and I mean everybody.
If there's not enough interest in travelling on the coach on that basis then why run it ?
OK - because the Club itself may want away support, in which case the Board/Club Owner would have to underwrite any possible loss - which would be me if I owned the Club !

Does that make sense ?

As far as I know the Club is NOT for sale - and, if it were, I would have absolutely no interest in buying it, as at today.
Mickeygee
1st Team Squad

Postby stanley » Sat Sep 16, 2017 4:53 pm

Oh well cup run over so now the subject can be put to bed.........nighty night......... :lol:
stanley
Under 12's

Club: qpr

Postby stephenb » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:55 am

Shame as its the best thread we have had in years :D
stephenb
Under 15's

Club: Chesham

Return to Football Topics