Hitchin Town 4-1 Chesham United

Hitchin Town 4-1 Chesham United

Postby Simon N » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:41 pm

Hitchin Town Chesham United
Charlie Horlock 1 Shane Gore
Lewis Rolfe 2 Ashley Smith
Ben Walster 3 Connor Wood
Alasan Ann 4 Alex Brown
Dan Webb 5 Daniel Brathwaite
Sam Barker 6 Luke Allen
Jonny McNamara 7 Ryan Towner
Matt Lench 8 Toby Little
Brett Donnelly 9 Ryan Blake
Simon Martin 10 Simon Thomas
Michael Noone 11 Dave Pearce

Ian Rees 12 Jack Westlake
Michael Johnson 13 Charlie Payne
Lucas Kirkpatrick 14 Mark Bell
Harry O'Malley 15 Tom McConway
Saul Williams 16 Eman Rowe

Rees for Noone 74 Bell for Towner 79
Kirkpatrick for Donnelly 83
Williams for Lench 87

Rolfe pen 31 Thomas 28
Martin 39
Donnelly 53
McNamara 83

Gore 29
Smith 81

Chesham United Man of the Match: Luke Allen

Hitchin took full advantage of Chesham’s injury problems to record a convincing win on a heavy pitch. Chesham were good value for their lead after 28 minutes, but the makeshift defence conceded three times either side of half-time effectively decided the contest.

With George Fenton nursing a broken bone in his hand after a car accident and Nick Beasant suspended, Chesham’s central defence consisted of Alex Brown - who passed a late fitness test - alongside Daniel Brathwaite who played for the first time in seven weeks due to a combination of injury and personal reasons. Luke Allen returned after missing last week’s trip to Bideford, replacing Mark Bell, while reserve goalkeeper Charlie Payne was on the bench in case Shane Gore suffered a recurrence of his hamstring injury. Early on Hitchin’s Jonny McNamara shot wide of the far post, then put another shooting chance over the bar. On eleven minutes a corner from Dave Pearce was headed across goal by Simon Thomas and Alex Brown headed just wide. At the other end Shane Gore tipped over Simon Martin’s header from McNamara’s cross, but Chesham then enjoyed their best spell of the match. Luke Allen’s free kick hit the Hitchin was and the follow-up shot was deflected behind, and from the resulting corner Daniel Brathwaite headed just past the far post. Home keeper Charlie Horlock’s short goal kick was played by Ryan Blake into the path of Simon Thomas but Horlock just got to the ball first. After 28 minutes Ashley Smith crossed from the right and Simon Thomas stole in to head home to give Chesham the lead. However in the next minute McNamara was allowed to run clear and Shane Gore brought McNamara down to concede a penalty. Gore escaped with a yellow card and Lewis Rolfe levelled the scores. At this stage the game was in the balance but eight minutes later Michael Noone’s pass sent Simon Martin clear to slot the ball past the advancing Shane Gore to give the home team the lead.

Early in the second half Chesham pressed for an equaliser, but the game was effectively decided after 53 minutes, when Sam Barker was allowed to run unchallenged from the centre circle to the edge of the area before setting up Brett Donnelly to make it 3-1. Chesham needed to get back into the game and Toby Little’s free kick beat Horlock but was just wide, then Horlock made a fine save from a Simon Thomas shot. Ryan Blake set up a shooting chance for Toby Little who shot straight at Horlock, then Dave Pearce hot high and wide from the edge of the area and Toby Little’s free kick went through the defensive wall but Horlock reacted quickly to save. With Chesham pushing forward Brett Donnelly seized on a loose pass and sent Jonny McNamara clear to round Shane Gore and notch the home team’s fourth. Chesham had one more effort on goal in the last minute of normal time, when Ryan Blake hit an angled drive from the left but the ball flew just over.
Simon N
South Midlands Regular
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Return to 1st XI

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest