Chesham United 2-1 Stourbridge

Chesham United 2-1 Stourbridge

Postby Simon N » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:08 pm

Chesham United Stourbridge
Shane Gore 1 Dean Coleman
John Kyriacou 2 Brian Smikle
Toby Little 3 Chris Knight
Danny Gordon 4 Kristian Ramsey-Dickson
Darren Purse 5 Sean Geddes
Scott Thomas 6 Louis Harris
Dave Fotheringham 7 Kyle Haines
James Potton 8 Leon Broadhurst
Chris Dillon 9 Kayelden Brown
Drew Roberts 10 Ben Billingham
Bruce Wilson 11 Netan Sansara

Inih Effiong 12 Jordan Fitzpatrick
Richard Graham 14 Drew Canavan
Daniel Brathwaite 15 Will Richards
Jeanmal Prosper 16 Joel Kettle
Haydn Dodge 17 George Washbourne

Effiong for Roberts 84 Canavan for Sansara 64
Richards for Harris 72
Washbourne for Smikle 82

Roberts 31 Brown 21
Dillon 64

Potton 85 Geddes 43

Waitrose Man of the Match in association with the Bucks Examiner: Chris Dillon

Chesham are just one match away from a place in non-league’s elite after a battling victory. There was too much at stake for the game to be a classic, but Chesham overcame a difficult opening half-hour to emerge worthy winners.

Having rejoined the club last week to help out because of a shortage of fit central defenders, Danny Gordon kept his place in a starting line-up that was otherwise largely as expected. Boosted by the memory of their victory at the Meadow ten days earlier, Stourbridge started stronger and succeeded in imposing their high-tempo approach on the game. On the quarter-hour Kyle Haines broke forward and shot across the face of goal, then on 21 minutes Kayelden Brown found space on the right and shot inside the near post from the edge of the area to give his team the lead. Three minutes later Stourbridge keeper Dean Coleman fumbled a cross from Bruce Wilson but the ball was cleared. At this stage Chesham were struggling to get into the game, but their equaliser on 31 minutes changed the course of the match. Coleman got to a through ball just ahead of Chris Dillon but lost control of the ball, leaving Dillon free to centre for Drew Roberts to tap in. The goal breathed life into Chesham who started to string some moves together, although the closest they came to scoring before half-time was a 35-yard free kick from Drew Roberts that dipped over the bar.

Chesham now had the upper hand and continued to press after the interval. On 64 minutes Chesham took the lead when Bruce Wilson played a corner short, Toby Little curled the ball beyond the far post and Darren Purse headed back across for Chris Dillon to slam into the net from close range. The remainder of the game was played at a frantic pace, with Chesham largely in control and restricting the visitors to a series of hopeful balls forward which largely came to nothing. Midway through the half Stourbridge pushed defender Kristian Ramsey-Dickson up front, but Chesham succeeded in restricting the supply to the visitors’ front line. In the first minute of stoppage time a speculative long-range effort from Ramsey-Dickson deflected wide, and Stourbridge pushed forward en masse for the resulting corner but Chesham’s defence held out. Chesham succeeded in keeping the ball at the other end for most of the rest of stoppage time.
Simon N
South Midlands Regular
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Return to 1st XI

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest