Weymouth 2-4 Chesham United

Weymouth 2-4 Chesham United

Postby Simon N » Thu Mar 06, 2014 8:47 am

Weymouth Chesham United
Jason Matthews 1 Shane Gore
Barry McConnell 2 John Kyriacou
Ashley Wells 3 Toby Little
Steve Colwell 4 Laurie Stewart
Jake Hutchings 5 Darren Purse
Michael Walker 6 Scott Thomas
George Rigg 7 Dave Fotheringham
Luke Winsper 8 James Potton
Stewart Yetton 9 Chris Dillon
Ben Joyce 10 Drew Roberts
Jake Green 11 Bruce Wilson

Sam Poole 12 Jeanmal Prosper
Lamar Powell 14 Stephan Hamilton
Charlie Holland 15 Steve Wales
Sean Zima 16 Aston Goss
Ryan Park 17 Alex Brown

Powell for Winsper 74 Wales for Thomas 74
Holland for Wells 80 Hamilton for Wilson 85
Prosper for Little 89

Rigg 48 Dillon 10, 22, 29
Yetton 57 Potton 73


Waitrose Man of the Match in association with the Bucks Examiner: Chris Dillon

A fine first-half performance proved the key to Chesham’s fifth consecutive win. The opening 45 minutes were as good as anything Chesham have produced his season and only some heroics from home goalkeeper Jason Matthews prevented a rout, but an early second-half goal provoked a home revival that was ended by James Potton’s goal.

For the first time in five matches there was a change to the starting line-up, Toby Little replacing Daniel Brathwaite while recent signing Jeanmal Prosper made his debut as a substitute. Chesham took control of the game from the start, and in the fourth minute Toby Little and Drew Roberts combined to set up James Potton who was denied by a last-ditch tackle. Chesham took the lead in the tenth minute when Toby Little’s crossfield pass found Drew Roberts, and Roberts’ low cross was turned in at the far post by Chris Dillon for Chesham’s 100th goal of the season in all competitions. Four minutes later Drew Roberts attempted to catch Matthews off his line but the keeper stretched to tip the ball away, and the resulting corner was part-cleared to Darren Purse who shot over. Chesham continued to pour forward, James Potton shooting high and wide, then John Kyriacou broke down the right and James Potton’s pull-back found Chris Dillon whose shot was tipped over by Matthews. Toby Little then crossed to Chris Dillon but Matthews saved again, but on 22 minutes Dave Fotheringham’s pass found Drew Roberts whose low cross was turned in by Dillon for Chesham’s second. Seven minutes later it was 3-0 after Laurie Stewart’s quickly-taken free kick sent James Potton away down the right, and Potton’s low cross was again turned in by Chris Dillon. It could have been even worse for the home side, but Matthews made his best save to turn away a Drew Roberts shot that seemed destined for the bottom corner.

Weymouth had only one shot in the first half and that was well wide, but three minutes after the restart George Rigg reduced the arrears with a fine 30-yard effort into the top corner. The home side rallied and further reduced the arrears nine minutes later, Ben Joyce helping the ball into the path of Stewart Yetton who found the bottom corner of the net from just inside the area. It was now a very different game and Weymouth had the Chesham defence under pressure, and Stewart Yetton’s pull-back forced a hurried clearance from John Kyriacou. However Chesham weathered the storm and Michael Walker attempted to shepherd the ball over the goal-line, but was dispossessed by Chris Dillon who advanced on goal but a desperate tackle saved the day. However on 73 minutes Toby Little sent Drew Roberts away down the left and Roberts’ low cross was turned in by James Potton to make it 4-2. The goal deflated the home side who were never the same afterwards, and the later stages were notable only for the usual number of substitutions.
Simon N
South Midlands Regular
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Return to 1st XI

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest