Chesham United 2-1 Biggleswade Town

Chesham United 2-1 Biggleswade Town

Postby Simon N » Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:05 pm

Chesham United Biggleswade Town
Shane Gore 1 Ian Brown
John Kyriacou 2 Max York
Daniel Brathwaite 3 Jerome Jibodu
Mark Lambert 4 Andrew Iwediuno
Alex Brown 5 Steve Gentle
Toby Little 6 Lee Allinson
Dave Fotheringham 7 Craig Daniel
James Potton 8 Lee Reed
Chris Dillon 9 Sam Reed
Drew Roberts 10 Lee Smith
Bruce Wilson 11 Alex Witham

Inih Effiong 12 Jon Woolf
Haydn Dodge 13 -
Stephan Hamilton 14 Brett Donnelly
Danny Gordon 15 Daniel Harper
Scott Thomas 16 Joel Mason

Thomas for Potton 73 Mason for Jibodu 45
Hamilton for Wilson 84 Donnelly for Witham 80

Roberts 6, 20 Gentle 48

Little 36
Hamilton 90+4

Waitrose Man of the Match in association with the Bucks Examiner: Drew Roberts

Two early goals from Drew Roberts ended Chesham’s run of four matches without a win. Chesham produced some fine football in the first half and were good value for their interval lead, but after Biggleswade halved the arrears against the run of play the game was more even but Chesham eventually saw the game out without too many alarms.

Mark Lambert returned to the side after suspension to make his 300th appearance for the club in place of Danny Gordon. Toby Little and Bruce Wilson also earned recalls in place of Scott Thomas and the suspended Steve Wales. Chesham took the lead in the sixth minute when Daniel Brathwaite’s through pass found Drew Roberts on the left, and Roberts cut inside onto his right foot to shoot into the net at the near post. Shortly afterwards a neat passing move ended with Toby Little setting up James Potton who shot just wide from the edge of the area. Chesham were dominating the game with neat passing football and it was no surprise when Drew Roberts added the second on 20 minutes, heading in at the far post after John Kyriacou’s cross came to him off Andrew Iwediuno. Shortly afterwards Shane Gore palmed out a cross to Alex Witham whose shot was deflected over the bar, but the resulting corner was cleared and Chesham resumed control of the game. The later stages of the half saw Chesham sit on their lead and pass the ball around but without creating any further chances.

Biggleswade had rarely threatened but came back into the game with a surprise goal on 48 minutes. The referee awarded a dubious-looking free kick on the edge of the area, Lee Allinson’s shot hit the post and bounced across goal for Steve Gentle to score. Shortly afterwards Chris Dillon set up Drew Roberts whose low shot produced a fine save from keeper Ian Brown. Shortly before the hour mark a snap shot from Lee Allinson was just off target, then a cross from Alex Witham was headed out to Lee Reed but Shane Gore produced a smart reaction save to his right. Chesham weathered this brief burst of pressure and midway through the half Ian Brown dropped a cross from Toby Little and the ball was scrambled away from Chris Dillon. On 74 minutes a long-range effort from Alex Witham clipped the outside of the far post, but that was the last moment of danger for Chesham in the game. The later stages saw Chesham content to sit on their lead while the visitors laboured hard with little effect.
Simon N
South Midlands Regular
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Return to 1st XI

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest