St Albans City 2-2 Chesham United

St Albans City 2-2 Chesham United

Postby Simon N » Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:20 pm

St Albans City Chesham United
Paul Bastock 1 Shane Gore
Howard Hall 2 John Kyriacou
Lee Chappell 3 Toby Little
James Kaloczi 4 Mark Lambert
Ben Martin 5 Danny Gordon
Tom Ward 6 Scott Thomas
David Keenleyside 7 Dave Fotheringham
James Comley 8 Steve Wales
John Frendo 9 Chris Dillon
Jamal Lowe 10 Inih Effiong
Richard Graham 11 James Potton

Nathan Ferguson 12 Drew Roberts
- 13 Haydn Dodge
Chris Watters 14 Daniel Brathwaite
Mark Nwokeji 15 Alex Brown
Danny Green 16 Stephan Hamilton
Darren Locke 17 -

Nwokeji for Keenleyside 74 Roberts for Effiong 73
Brathwaite for Little 82

Lowe 3 Little 25
Kaloczi 56 Kyriacou 44

Martin 72 Gore 57
Lambert 62
Wales 81

Waitrose Man of the Match in association with the Bucks Examiner: Shane Gore

Chesham played out a hard-fought draw against a St Albans side who had won their previous six league games. Although it was agreed afterwards that a draw was a fair result, Chesham were in control of the game until the home team levelled with a disputed goal.

There were two changes to the side, Danny Gordon coming in for Laurie Stewart who was unwell, and Inih Effiong given a start in place of Drew Roberts. Haydn Dodge, signed as goalkeeping cover last month, was on the bench while Bruce Wilson missed the match through suspension. Chesham went behind after three minutes, when Jamal Lowe was allowed to run down the home left and cut inside to shoot inside the far post. In the next minute Chris Dillon’s lay-off set up Inih Effiong who shot over. A snap shot from John Frendo flew just wide, then Inih Effiong’s shot was saved and held at the second attempt by home keeper Paul Bastock. The home side’s main threat came from set pieces, and when a James Comley corner was only partially cleared Jamal Lowe’s shot was turned behind by Shane Gore, then the resulting corner was cleared back to Comley whose cross was headed just over by James Kaloczi. However Chesham were well in the game and equalised on 25 minutes. Steve Wales broke down the left and crossed, Inih Effiong challenged and the ball dropped to James Potton whose shot hit the post and bounced in off Toby Little. Chesham went on to enjoy their best spell of the match and Inih Effiong’s header from John Kyriacou’s cross was blocked by Howard Hall. On 44 minutes James Potton collected a stray pass in the centre circle and found Chris Dillon down the left, Dillon passed the ball across the area to John Kyriacou who found the bottom corner of the net with a fine strike from the edge of the area.

Early in the second half Steve Wales found James Potton on the left but Potton’s shot was blocked and Inih Effiong flagged offside as he went for the rebound. At this stage Chesham were in control of the game as their opponents looked ragged. However on 56 minutes James Kaloczi tried his luck with a speculative shot that Shane Gore touched onto the post from where it rolled along the line, but the linesman on the far side gave a goal even though he was unsighted. Gore was adamant that the ball had not crossed the line and was booked for his protests. The goal breathed new life into the home side and James Comley’s free kick forced Shane Gore to dive to his left to turn the ball behind. At the other end Inih Effiong got his head to a Steve Wales corner and Chris Dillon attempted to hook the ball goalwards but Bastock was able to save. As the game went on St Albans put on the pressure, mainly through the long throws of Lee Chappell. The later stages saw Chesham mainly camped in their own half, but the home side lacked the guile to break down Chesham’s defence. For all their pressure St Albans’ only effort on goal came two minutes from time, when a short corner was crossed in to Ben Martin but Gore saved comfortably.
Simon N
South Midlands Regular
Posts: 583
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:19 pm

Return to 1st XI

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests