Evostik League South Logo

The Evo-Stik League South Premier Division

Saturday 2nd December 2017

Bob Lucas Stadium, Weymouth

Attendance 602

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Ravi Shamsi
Mark Travers 1 Hafed Al-Droubi A depleted Chesham side went down to their second consecutive defeat. Against second-placed Weymouth, Chesham were a goal down when home defender Mark Cooper was sent off, but were unable to take full advantage despite playing for an hour with an extra man.

Benji Crilley and Matt Bevans were both suspended after picking up a fifth yellow card last Saturday, but Jhai Dhillon was fit again so returned with Zack Reynolds switching to right back. Jon-Jo Bates came in for Bevans, Adam Pepera for Darren Locke and Ravi Shamsi made his first start in place of David Hutton. Weymouth made the early running with Brandon Goodship forcing Hafed Al-Droubi into an early save, parrying a hard shot behind for a corner. However Chesham were starting to get into the game when the home side scored the game’s only goal in the nineteenth minute. Ben Thomson laid the ball off for Abdulai Baggie to score with a rising drive from the edge of the penalty area. Nine minutes later Weymouth’s Mark Cooper went in high and late on Oran Swales, and was shown a straight red card although some referees might have let him off with a yellow. Chesham nearly took advantage straight away with Zack Reynolds crossing to Joe Iaciofano, who turned sharply at the near post but lost control of the ball which rolled out for a goal kick. Weymouth brought on Calvin Brooks to play at right back and sacrificed a midfielder, but Chesham were now on top. Adam Watkins shot wide of the near post from Ravi Shamsi’s pull-back, then Jon-Jo Bates mishit a drive from just inside the area and home keeper Mark Travers saved easily. Towards half-time Shane Bush misdirected a header from Ravi Shamsi’s cross, then Shamsi cut inside onto his left foot and blazed the ball high and wide.

Early in the second half Weymouth’s Charlie Davis shot just over the bar, then at the other end Jon-Jo Bates pulled the ball back to Joe Iaciofano whose first-time effort flew over the top. Chesham went on to dominate against the ten men, but created few chances against a solid home defence. As Chesham upped the tempo late on Shane Bush’s glancing header was easily saved by Travers, then a shot on the turn from Jon-Jo Bates flew just wide. With Chesham pushing forward Weymouth were looking to break, and in the last minute of normal time Ben Thomson broke down the left and set up Harry Baker who mishit the ball across goal. However Chesham were unable to mount a late assault and the home side held on for the win.
Mark Cooper 2 Zack Reynolds
Tiago Sa 3 Jhai Dhillon
Stephane Zubar 4 Jon-Jo Bates
Callum Buckley 5 Kieran Murphy
Josh Carmichael 6 Adam Pepera
Charlie Davis 7 Ravi Shamsi
James Hayter 8 Adam Watkins
Ben Thomson 9 Shane Bush
Brandon Goodship 10 Joe Iaciofano
Abdulai Baggie 11 Oran Swales
Toby Down 12 Scott McGleish
Steve Boore 13/17 Charlie Hayford
Harry Baker 14 David Hutton
Calvin Brooks 15 Ahmed El-Sahib
Josh Wakefield 16 Darren Locke
Used Substitutes
Brooks for Hayter 32   McGleish for Swales 72
Baker for Goodship 78    
Wakefield for Thomson 90    
Baggie 19    
Thomson 34   McGleish 89
Sent Off
Cooper 28