Evostik League South Logo

The Buildbase FA Trophy 1st Round Proper

Tuesday 19th December 2017

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 193

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Weston Super Mare
Man Of The Match
Adam Watkins
Hafed Al-Droubi 1 Luke Purnell Chesham made a tame exit from the FA Trophy at the hands of National League South side Weston-super-Mare. After the visitors took the lead just after the half-hour Chesham struggled to break down their defence and conceded a second goal late on.

Ravi Shamsi was ineligible for this tie, as were recent signings Jefferson Louis, Munashe Sundire and Gerardo Smaldone. Jon-Jo Bates and Oran Swales replaced Shamsi and Matt Bevans from the side that beat Frome Town two weeks before. Chesham switched to a three-man defence with Benji Crilley in the middle and Zack Reynolds at right wing-back. The opening half-hour was fairly even in terms of possession, but Chesham had the better of the few efforts on goal. After a defensive header Oran Swales hit the ball first-time over the bar, then Jon-Jo Bates shot wide from the edge of the area after a one-two with Shane Bush. Midway through the half a good move down the left ended with a hurried clearance as far as Adam Watkins, whose shot was held by visiting keeper Luke Parnell. Shortly afterwards Weston threatened for the first time when Dayle Grubb’s cross was cleared as far as Ashley Kington, whose shot from the edge of the area curled just wide. However Weston’s opening goal on 31 minutes came as something of a surprise. Left-back Danny Greenslade took a free kick on the visitors’ right, the ball was cleared back to Greenslade and he ran through a gap in the Chesham defence to shoot into the net from the edge of the area. The goal changed the game as Weston grew in confidence, and Grubb and Greenslade combined down the left and Greenslade’s cross was hurriedly cleared by Darren Locke.

Chesham made a switch at half-time, replacing Zack Reynolds with Charlie Hayford who played as a right midfielder with Benji Crilley reverting to his usual right-back slot. However Chesham still struggled to create chances against a well-organised defence. On 71 minutes Adam Watkins hit a dipping shot over the bar after Oran Swales’ cross was cleared. In a rare Weston attack Jarrad Welch set up Gethyn Hill for a shot that Hafed Al-Droubi dived to his left to hold. As the game began to open up late on Chesham had their best moment when Joe Iaciofano ran through the Weston defence and shot across the face of the goal. Late in the game Hafed Al-Droubi saved with his feet from Gethyn Hill, then in the last minute of normal time Dayle Grubb ran through and slotted the ball into the corner of the net off a post to seal the win. In stoppage time Chesham brought on Ahmed Elsahib who nearly scored within seconds after a Jhai Dhillon corner ran loose in the area, but his effort was deflected for another corner.
Zack Reynolds 2 Ashley Harper
Jhai Dhillon 3 Danny Greenslade
Benji Crilley 4 Jacob Cane
Kieran Murphy 5 Jason Pope
Darren Locke 6 Harvey Smith
Jon-Jo Bates 7 Jarred Welch
Adam Watkins 8 Ashley Kington
Shane Bush 9 Gethyn Hill
Joe Iaciofano 10 Dayle Grubb
Oran Swales 11 Tristan Plummer
Scott McGleish 12 Jamie Laird
Charlie Hayford 14 Jake Reid
Bradley Singh 15 Jake Lee
Ahmed El-Sahib 16 Shaquille Hunter
Matt Bevans 17/13 Liam Kingston
Used Substitutes
Hayford for Reynolds 45   Lee for Plummer 74
El-Sahib for Watkins 90+4   Laird for Kington 90+2
    Reid for Hill 90+3
    Greenslade 31
    Grubb 90
Crilley 42   Plummer 23
Watkins 54   Kington 43
    Welch 88
Sent Off