Evostik League South Logo

The Evo-Stik League South Premier Division

Saturday 3rd February 2018

Rowley Park, St Neots Town

Attendance 239

Match Report By Simon Newbury

St Neots Town
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Matt Bevans
Finlay Iron 1 Harry Isted Chesham went down to their first defeat since before Christmas. This was a lacklustre performance from Chesham, possibly due to their punishing schedule of ten matches in 34 days, and they finished well beaten although it took a terrible penalty decision to set the hosts on their way.

The only change from the team that started Tuesday’s win over St Ives saw Oran Swales handed a start with Ravi Shamsi dropping to the bench. Both sides moved the ball well in the opening minutes, and for Chesham Oran Swales forced home keeper Finlay Iron to dive to his left to save an early shot. However the course of the game was changed in the twelfth minute. David Hutton threw himself in the way of a shot from Dion Sembie-Ferris, and the ball struck his knee and went onto his arm just inside the penalty area. How the referee could have considered this intentional when Hutton was only a couple of yards away is hard to fathom, but he gave a penalty and Johnny Herd converted. Chesham started to push forward but without creating any chances of note, at the game went into a quiet spell. However on the half-hour a quick move just outside the Chesham area saw Lewis Irwin run clear to slot the ball past Harry Isted to make it 2-0. Chesham came back with a free kick from David Hutton that was saved by Iron, but on 39 minutes Irwin scored the home side’s third with a curling shot into the top corner from wide on the hosts’ left. In stoppage time a Jack Bradshaw free kick came to Irwin at the far post, who shot across the face of the Chesham goal.

Jhai Dhillon, who missed the last game due to injury, came on for Matthew Hall for the second half. However Chesham’s goal in the second minute after the restart came as something of a gift. There was little danger when Lewis Toomey crossed low from the right, but home defender Liam McDevitt stuck out a foot and turned the ball past his own keeper at the far post. However the home side could have restored their three-goal advantage two minutes later when Dion Sembie-Ferris broke away, Oran Swales cleared but only as far as Steffan Broccoli whose effort beat Harry Isted but was cleared by Matt Bevans. At the other end Lewis Toomey shot wide of the near post after the ball dropped at his feet in the penalty area, but generally Chesham were making little headway. Midway through the half Dion Sembie-Ferris had a shot deflected over the Chesham bar although the referee gave a goal kick. Late in the game Lewis Toomey just failed to connect with an Oran Swales cross, then a long-range effort from Ravi Shamsi beat Iron but flew just wide, but Chesham never really looked like getting back in the game. In the dying minutes Taylor Parr got his head to a Johnny Herd corner but the ball hit a team-mate in front of Harry Isted and was scrambled away.
Jack Bradshaw 2 Benji Crilley
Johnny Herd 3 Matthew Hall
Luke Knight 4 Matt Bevans
Liam McDevitt 5 Kieran Murphy
Taylor Parr 6 Darren Locke
Dion Sembie-Ferris 7 Oran Swales
Dave Bridges 8 Adam Watkins
Lewis Irwin 9 Jefferson Louis
Kyran Wiltshire 10 Lewis Toomey
Steffan Broccoli 11 David Hutton
Tom Wood 12 Scott McGleish
Dylan Williams 14 Danny Green
Nabil Shariff 15 Jon-Jo Bates
Harry O'Malley 16 Jhai Dhillon
Scott Sinclair 17 Ravi Shamsi
Used Substitutes
Sinclair for Sembie-Ferris 76   Dhillon for Hall 45
Shariff for Irwin 80   Shamsi for Hutton 69
O'Malley for Wiltshire 80   Green for Watkins 76
Herd Pen 13   McDevitt OG 47
Irwin 30, 39    
Wiltshire 59   Bevans 14
Broccoli 65   Locke 45+1
    Green 90+2
Sent Off