Evostik League South Logo

The Buildbase FA Trophy 2nd Round Qualifying

Saturday 11th November 2017

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 297

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Hitchin Town
Man Of The Match
Joe Iaciofano
Hafed Al-Droubi 1 Michael Johnson Chesham advanced to the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy with a hard-earned win over fellow Southern League side Hitchin Town. Hitchin are currently higher than Chesham in the league but Chesham were worthy winners, taking their current unbeaten run to nine games and the run of consecutive wins to four.

Following the League Cup win over AFC Dunstable in midweek, Chesham reverted to the team that beat King’s Lynn last Saturday with one exception – Oran Swales coming in for Jon-Jo Bates. The opening stages were fairly even, Chesham threatening first in the twelfth minute when Joe Iaciofano turned smartly in the area and got in a shot that was blocked at the expense of a corner. Shortly afterwards Joe Iaciofano’s pass set up Lewis Toomey who shot into the side netting from a narrow angle. Just after the half-hour Matt Bevans and Oran Swales combined to feed Joe Iaciofano, who turned and shot but his effort was comfortably saved by keeper Michael Johnson. Hitchin had had their fair share of the ball but failed to test the Chesham defence, their best effort of the half coming when Jonny McNamara got his head to Kavan Cotter’s cross but Hafed Al-Droubi saved comfortably. Chesham broke through on 41 minutes when the ball was played back into the area after a Matt Bevans free kick was cleared, Jhai Dhillon squared and Lewis Toomey controlled and shot low into the net.

In the opening minute of the second half Jhai Dhillon’s cross nearly came to Adam Watkins but Johnson just got to the ball first. However Hitchin were starting to test the Chesham defence for the first time and equalised on 53 minutes. Charlie Smith had a shot blocked after Chesham failed to clear a corner, the ball bounced around in the Chesham area and eventually Elliot Bailey netted from close range. However the visitors were level for only two minutes as Joe Iaciofano set up Oran Swales on the right, Swales shot was well saved by Johnson but Iaciofano tucked away the loose ball for his 10th goal in 11 games. Hitchin came back with Charlie Smith curling a long-range effort wide, but were unable to test the Chesham defence again. On 64 minutes Chesham had the ball in the net when Jhai Dhillon’s right-wing corner went straight in with Johnson clutching at thin air, but the referee disallowed the effort for a foul by Lewis Toomey. Immediately after coming on as a substitute Jon-Jo Bates split the Hitchin defence with a through ball to Iaciofano, who lifted the ball over the advancing keeper but Lewis Rolfe got back to hook the ball off the line. There were five minutes of stoppage time at the end of the game, and in the fourth minute keeper Johnson went forward after the visitors were awarded a free kick. However the ball was cleared and Matt Bevans and Benji Crilley broke forward with only Ben Walster covering, and eventually Crilley lobbed the ball into the unguarded net to seal the win.
Benji Crilley 2 Kavan Cotter
Jhai Dhillon 3 Ben Walster
Matt Bevans 4 Jay Dowie
Kieran Murphy 5 Lewis Rolfe
Darren Locke 6 Josh Bickerstaff
David Hutton 7 Jack Green
Adam Watkins 8 Charlie Smith
Lewis Toomey 9 Brett Donnelly
Joe Iaciofano 10 Elliot Bailey
Oran Swales 11 Jonny McNamara
Scott McGleish 12 Connor Vincent
Shane Bush 14 Callum Donnelly
Jon-Jo Bates 15 Lucas Kirkpatrick
Zack Reynolds 16 Desejado Da Silva
Adam Pepera 17 -
Used Substitutes
Bates for Hutton 80   Vincent for B Donnelly 77
Bush for Swales 80   Kirkptrick for Dowie 83
Reynolds for Iacopfano 90   C Donnelly for Green 83
Toomey 41   Bailey 53
Iaciofano 55    
Crilley 90+4    
Locke 30   B Donnelly 30
    Green 32
    Dowie 65
    Rolfe 89
Sent Off