Evostik League South Logo

The Buildbase FA Trophy 1st Round Qualifying

Saturday 28th October 2017

The SKYex Community Stadium, Hayes

Attendance 182

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Hayes & Yeading United
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Joe Iaciofano
Jack Smith 1 Hafed Al-Droubi Joe Iaciofano’s hat-trick saw Chesham into the 2nd Qualifying Round of the FA Trophy with a win that was every bit as convincing as the scoreline suggests. Once Chesham had taken a two-goal lead in the opening half-hour the result was never in doubt.

Chesham’s starting eleven and subs were unchanged. Against a team relegated from the Evo-Stik Southern Premier League last year, Chesham took control of the game from the kick-off and in the opening minute home keeper Jack Smith dived to his left to keep out Jon-Jo Bates’ shot from the edge of the area. On ten minutes Kieran Murphy’s long ball was collected by Lewis Toomey who shot from wide on the left, and Smith just got a touch on the ball which came back off the woodwork. Chesham eventually took the lead in the twentieth minute when a long clearance from Hafed Al-Droubi was headed back towards his own goal by Melvin Adesida, and Joe Iaciofano ran on to beat Smith from ten yards although the ball took a deflection off a defender on the way in. Chesham were still looking the more likely team to score and did so again six minutes later. Joe Iaciofano played the ball forward to Lewis Toomey on the right, Toomey turned and pulled the ball across goal and Iaciofano swept it past Smith from close range. Six minutes later Smith was again called into action, producing a flying save to keep out a left-foot drive from Jon-Jo Bates. Towards half-time Hayes threatened for the first time when Manny Duku headed into the side netting from Toby Little’s corner, then Rohdell Gordon shot high and wide from the edge of the area.

In the opening minute of the second half Oran Swales seized on a stray back-pass and set up Joe Iaciofano, who shot over the bar from the edge of the area. Hayes were looking better after a half-time reshuffle but still failed to test the Chesham defence. After 53 minutes Jhai Dhillon won the ball from Danny Hutchins, albeit with the aid of a push that went unpunished, and crossed low but the ball somehow eluded both Lewis Toomey and Oran Swales. Lewis Toomey then went on a run that ended with a 30-yard shot just wide, then Toomey chested a clearance from Hafed Al-Droubi into the path of Joe Iaciofano who shot just wide. On 66 minutes Iaciofano went down in the penalty area under Melvin Adesida’s challenge, right in front of the referee who immediately pointed to the spot and Iaciofano blasted the kick home to complete his hat-trick. Two minutes later Hafed Al-Droubi stretched to take Manny Duku’s cross, but dropped the ball and did well to recover and gather at the second attempt. At the other end Lewis Toomey went on a mazy run into the area, and seemed to be about to walk the ball into the net before Smith finally grabbed it. With the game long since over as a contest both teams played out time, and in the 89th minute Hafed Al-Droubi made his only serious save of the afternoon to tip away a low shot from Andrew Ofosu.
Melvin Adesida 2 Benji Crilley
Danny Hutchins 3 Jhai Dhillon
Spyros Mentis 4 Matt Bevans
Danny May 5 Kieran Murphy
Komal Llewellyn-Reid 6 Adam Pepera
Andrew Ofosu 7 David Hutton
Toby Little 8 Jon-Jo Bates
Manny Duku 9 Lewis Toomey
Ismael Ehui 10 Joe Iaciofano
Rohdell Gordon 11 Oran Swales
Joakim Ehui 12 Scott McGleish
Frankie Jones 14 Shane Bush
Ola Olajubu 15 Adam Watkins
Tre Mitford 16 Ahmed El-Sahib
Luke Daley 13/17 Darren Locke
Used Substitutes
Jones for I Ehui 45   Watkins for Bates 62
J Ehui for Hutchins 58   Locke for Swales 72
    Bush for Hutton 79
    Iaciofano 20,26, Pen 67
Ofosu 22   Bush 80
Hutchins 35    
Sent Off