Evostik League South Logo

The Buildbase FA Trophy 3rd Round Qualfying

Saturday 25th November 2017

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 246

Match Sponsored By Atlas Commercial Consultants Ltd

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Gloucester City
Man Of The Match
Adam Watkins
Hafed Al-Droubi 1 Tom Hadler Chesham advanced to the last 64 of the FA Trophy with this win against a side from the higher division. This was a scoreline that seemed unlikely at half-time, but Chesham fought back after going a goal down and finished worthy winners.

There were three changes to the starting line-up, with David Hutton returning after missing the Farnborough game, Shane Bush replacing the injured Lewis Toomey, and Oran Swales preferred to Jon-Jo Bates. The visitors took control of the game early on, and on 21 minutes came close when Edward Williams headed goalwards but Hafed Al-Droubi stretched to tip the ball over the bar. Chesham’s best moment of the half came when Oran Swales broke away on the right, and the ball came to Shane Bush in front of goal but Kieran Thomas got in a challenge to clear the danger. However Gloucester came back and Ethan Moore went on a solo run which resulted in a shot that was blocked by Benji Crilley. On 32 minutes a long ball into the Chesham area was headed out by Darren Locke, but Karnell Chambers seized on the loose ball and shot into the roof of the net to give the visitors the lead. As half-time approached Gloucester sub Joe Parker headed the ball back into the path of Joe Hanks whose first-time shot flew well over.

The second half began with Gloucester still on top, but for all their possession there was still little end product. On 58 minutes Chesham had their first moment of danger. Robbie Cundy, who played eight times on loan at Chesham three seasons ago, headed the ball straight into the path of Adam Watkins who shot over the bar from just inside the area. On 64 minutes Kieran Thomas scythed down Joe Iaciofano on the edge of the area, and David Hutton lifted the resulting free kick into the top corner of the net to level the scores. The course of the game had changed and Gloucester never threatened again, and Darren Locke headed over from a David Hutton free kick. Tempers were fraying after an incident involving Jhai Dhillon and Kieran Thomas, and there appeared to be an element of retribution when Thomas led with his forearm in a challenge which left Dhillon on the ground on 77 minutes. Thomas was shown a straight red card and Dhillon went off after treatment with his head heavily bandaged. Ten minutes from time Kieran Murphy glanced a header wide from David Hutton’s free kick as Chesham were now in the ascendancy. Five minutes from time David Hutton took a corner on the left and Oran Swales stole in unmarked at the near post to head Chesham’s winner. Gloucester never looked like retrieving the tie after that, and Chesham could have added a third when Joe Iaciofano laid the ball off to Oran Swales but the resulting shot was saved low to his left by visiting keeper Tom Hadler.
Benji Crilley 2 Kieran Thomas
Jhai Dhillon 3 Kieran Parselle
Matt Bevans 4 Robbie Cundy
Kieran Murphy 5 Sam Avery
Darren Locke 6 Chris Knowles
David Hutton 7 Joe Hanks
Adam Watkins 8 Tom Webb
Shane Bush 9 Ethan Moore
Joe Iaciofano 10 Edward Williams
Oran Swales 11 Karnell Chambers
Scott McGleish 12 Joe Parker
Jon-Jo Bates 14 Spencer Hamilton
Adam Pepera 15 Jamie Edge
Zack Reynolds 16 Jack Storer
Charlie Hayford 17 Will Morford
Used Substitutes
Reynolds for Dhillon 81   Parker for Williams 38
    Edge for Hanks 45
    Storer for Moore 83 
Hutton 64   Chambers 32
Swales 85    
Crilley 82    
Watkins 87    
Bevans 90    
Sent Off
    Thomas 77