Evostik League South Logo

The Evo-Stik League South Premier Division

Tuesday 12th September 2017

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 193

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Dunstable Town
Man Of The Match
Matt Bevans
Hafed Al-Droubi 1 William Henry Chesham struggled for long periods to overcome struggling Dunstable.  In atrocious conditions Chesham took an early lead and had chances to add to it, but allowed the visitors the chance to get back in the game before sealing the win late on.

The only change to the starting eleven saw Lewis Toomey come in for Alex Cathline, while Benji Crilley and Scott McGleish came off the bench to make their first appearances since rejoining the club.  In a strong wind and steady rain Dunstable made the stronger start, but Chesham scored with the first effort on goal in the fifth minute.  Following a move down the right the ball was played into the area, keeper Will Henry came out but lost out and eventually Oran Swales was able to net from about ten yards out.  Four minutes later Danny Green was sent clear on the left to side-foot the ball past Henry but also past the far post.  Chesham dominated the rest of the half, with the full-backs often pushing forward and leaving just two at the back against an attack that posed little threat.  Shortly before the half-hour mark a neat move down the left set up Adam Watkins whose shot beat Henry but smashed against the bar, and the ball was crossed back in to Jhai Dhillon whose shot was tipped round the post by Henry.  However Chesham could have paid for their failure to add a second goal when Daniel Trif had a free header from a long cross from the right, but Trif misdirected his effort well wide.

Early in the second half Lewis Toomey found some space on the left and fired in a shot that Henry turned round the near post although the ball seemed to be going wide anyway, then Chesham were awarded a free kick on the edge of the area and David Hutton’s kick clipped the top of the bar.  On the hour mark Oran Swales crossed from the left, Henry pushed the ball out but only as far as Adam Watkins who blasted over the bar from ten yards.  Midway through the half Scott McGleish seemed to have beaten the offside trap and ran on to put the ball in the net, but the linesman thought otherwise.  However Chesham had failed to make the game safe and Dunstable began to come into the game more as the home team grew increasingly frustrated.  On 76 minutes Gedeon Okito crossed from wide on the left and Joe Chidyausiku got to the ball first at the near post, but could only turn it over the bar.  However on 81 minutes Chesham made the game safe with a second goal.  Zack Reynolds, who had switched to the left after Benji Crilley replaced Jhai Dhillon, broke into the area and fired in a cross-shot that Henry pushed away, but the ball ran loose and Scott McGleish pounced to score with a low drive.  Chesham relaxed and two minutes later Zack Reynolds sent Oran Swales away down the left, and Swales squared for David Hutton to shoot powerfully but over the bar.
Zack Reynolds 2 Ben Collins
Jhai Dhillon 3 Gedeon Okito
Matt Bevans 4 Kieran Ogden
Kieran Murphy 5 John Sonuga
Adam Pepera 6 Scott Betts
Danny Green 7 Ryan Young
Adam Watkins 8 Lanre Ladipo
Lewis Toomey 9 Daniel Trif
David Hutton 10 Arel Amu
Oran Swales 11 Claudio Silva
Callum Bunting 12 Aaron Hudson
Alex Cathline 14 Sam Odusoga
Jon-Jo Bates 15 David Carty
Benji Crilley 16 Joseph Chidyausiku
Scott McGleish 17 Justin Koeries
Used Substitutes
Crilley for Dhillon 56   Chidyausiku for Sonuga 73
McGleish for Green 63   Carty for Silva 82
Bunting for Toomey 76   Koeries for Young 85
Swales 5    
McGleish 81    
    Ogden 38
Sent Off