Evostik League South Logo

The BigFreeBet.com Challenge Cup 3rd Round

Tuesday 16th January 2018

Loop Meadow Stadium, Didcot

Attendance 82

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Didcot Town
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Hafed Al-Droubi
Leigh Bedwell 1 Hafed Al-Droubi Chesham were involved in a penalty shoot-out for the second week running, this time going out of the League Cup following a goalless encounter with their Western Division opponents.

Chesham’s revamped line-up included 21-year-old central defender Matthew Hall, signed earlier in the day on dual registration terms with Hemel Hempstead Town. Didcot came into the game in fifth position in the Southern League Western Division and are managed by former Chesham midfielder Andy Ballard. On a freezing cold night and with a bumpy pitch conditions were not ideal for football and there was little to report early on. In the sixteenth minute Matt Woodley’s long free kick into the Chesham area nearly caught out Hafed Al-Droubi, but the keeper saved and then blocked Henry Horton’s follow-up. Chesham produced some neat football in patches, and shortly before the half-hour mark Shane Bush challenged for the ball in the area and Jon-Jo Bates flashed a shot just wide. At the other end Hafed Al-Droubi saved George Reid’s shot and George Jeacock’s follow-up, then Henry Horton and Sam Barder both wasted shooting chances from just outside the box. On 42 minutes Chesham produced a fine passing move which saw Ravi Shamsi break clear, but home keeper Leigh Bedwell managed to tip the resulting lob away for a corner. The half ended with George Reid rounding Hafed Al-Droubi, but in doing so he took the ball too far wide and Al-Droubi was able to get back to block.

Jefferson Louis came on for the second half in place of Shane Bush, who sustained a cut forehead shortly before half-time. Early in the second half Adam Learoyd had a free header from George Reid’s corner but headed straight at Hafed Al-Droubi. Al-Droubi then parried a close-range effort from Reid, and George Jeacock squared to sub Brett Gardner who had a tap-in but got the ball stuck under his feet and Chesham cleared. Chesham’s play had lacked the urgency of a league game but they came close to pinching the tie late on. Twenty minutes from time Jhai Dhillon’s free kick was turned back across goal by Scott McGleish to Jefferson Louis, who seemed sure to score but Bedwell somehow managed to keep the ball out. In the next minute Ravi Shamsi won the ball in the home area and Jon-Jo Bates’ shot was tipped round the post by Bedwell. Jhai Dhillon took the resulting corner and the ball dropped to Kieran Murphy whose shot was cleared off the line. That was the final goalmouth action as both sides settled for penalties. Chesham went first in the penalty shoot-out but David Hutton’s effort was saved, after which all the other nine penalties were converted so Chesham were out.
Sam Elkins 2 Gerardo Smaldone
Matt Woodley 3 Jhai Dhillon
Lewis Hayden 4 Matthew Hall
Cameron McNeill 5 Kieran Murphy
Adam Learoyd 6 Danny Green
George Reid 7 Ravi Shamsi
Sam Barder 8 Jon-Jo Bates
George Jeacock 9 Lewis Toomey
Henry Horton 10 Shane Bush
Josh Pin 11 David Hutton
Felipe Barcelos 12 Scott McGleish
David Murphy 14 Jefferson Louis
Tom Morris 15 Oran Swales
Brett Gardner 16 Matt Bevans
Stuart Cattell 17 Darren Locke
Used Substitutes
Gardner for Pin 55   Louis for Bush 45
Morris for Horton 62   McGleish for Toomey 68
Barcelos for Jeacock 86   Bevans for Bates 87
Woodley - Scored   Hutton - Saved
Barder - Scored   Bevans - Scored
Reid - Scored   Dhillon - Scored
Hayden - Scored   Shamsi - Scored
Barcelos - Scored   Louis - Scored
Sent Off