Evostik League South Logo

The Evo-Stik League South Premier Division

Tuesday 10th October 2017

ProKit UK Stadium, Bishop's Stortford

Attendance 234

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Bishop's Stortford
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Kieran Murphy
Luke Sheldrick 1 Hafed Al-Droubi Chesham held on for a draw after playing more than half the match with ten men. Chesham took the lead after a dull opening half-hour, and looked comfortable until the dismissal of Joe Iaciofano changed the course of the game. In the second half Chesham defended their lead for most of the time but had chances to win the game after Bishop’s Stortford equalised.

There was one change to the starting line-up, David Hutton replacing Danny Green. There was little to note in the opening half-hour, with neither side producing any decent opportunities. However on 31 minutes Chesham produced the one quality moment of the half, Jhai Dhillon’s low cross from wide on the left falling perfectly for Joe Iaciofano to slide in at the far post to notch his fourth goal in four games. Shortly afterwards Adam Pepera’s headed clearance came to Jordan Westcott who blazed over from 30 yards, but otherwise Chesham were looking comfortable against the home team’s toothless attack. However on 43 minutes Joe Robinson hit a free kick against Joe Iaciofano who was booked for not retreating, and in the next minute Iaciofano lobbed the ball over the keeper after being flagged offside. The young striker was shown a second yellow card although a less officious referee might have let him off with a warning. In stoppage time Kieran Murphy’s header from a Jhai Dhillon corner was tipped away by keeper Luke Sheldrick.

The home team brought on an extra striker at the interval as Chesham attempted to defend their lead in the second half. Seven minutes after the restart Chesham’s players took exception to Darren Foxley falling theatrically after Zack Reynolds squared up to him, the referee eventually booking both players. Bishop’s Stortford were becoming increasingly frustrated at their failure to test the Chesham defence, but on 71 minutes Christian Owusu broke away down the left, and although Adam Pepera got in a challenge the ball fell for Mark Hughes who blasted the ball in off the bar from ten yards. Chesham looked to break forward again and Adam Watkins tested Sheldrick with a long-range effort that the keeper dived to push away. Ten minutes from time the home team missed their best chance of the game, when Ryan Richefond controlled George Casey’s pass only to blast the ball over the bar with only Hafed Al-Droubi to beat. Chesham could have won the game late on, firstly when Hafed Al-Droubi’s long clearance found Oran Swales who ran on to fire in an angled drive that beat Sheldrick but came back off the bar. Two minutes from time another Swales shot was spilt by Sheldrick, and Jon-Jo Bates got to the loose ball first only to stab wide from close range. Eventually Chesham held on with Hafed Al-Droubi not having a serious save to make in the whole game.
Sam Hatton 2 Benji Crilley
Aaron Tumwa 3 Jhai Dhillon
Mark Hughes 4 Matt Bevans
George Casey 5 Kieran Murphy
Joe Robinson 6 Adam Pepera
Tyrique Hyde-Skerritt 7 David Hutton
Jordan Westcott 8 Adam Watkins
Dipo Akinyemi 9 Lewis Toomey
Freddy Moncur 10 Giuseppe Iaciofano
Darren Foxley 11 Zack Reynolds
Ryan Richefond 12 Jon-Jo Bates
Christian Owusu 14 Shane Bush
Jack Thomas 15 Danny Green
Alex Rogers 16 Ahmed El-Sahib
- 17 Oran Swales
Used Substitutes
Owusu for Westcott 45   Swales for Toomey 73
Rogers for Moncur 66   Green for Hutton 78
Richefond for Owusu 77   Bates for Watkins 82
Hughes 71   Iaciofano 31
Hatton 33   Iaciofano 43
Casey 40   Reynolds 53
Foxley 53   Bates 90+2
Sent Off
    Iaciofano 44