Evostik League South Logo

The Evo-Stik League South Premier Division

Saturday 21st October 2017

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 210

Match Sponsored By First Rate Exchange Services

Match Ball Sponsored By Badgebase Limited

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Biggleswade Town
Man Of The Match
Kieran Murphy
Hafed Al-Droubi 1 Liam Gooch Chesham moved into a comfortable mid-table position by completing a double over Biggleswade.

Joe Iaciofano returned after suspension replacing Lewis Toomey who was on the bench, while Darren Locke returned in place of the injured Zack Reynolds with Benji Crilley switching to right-back. Chesham played with the wind in their favour in the first half and produced their first effort on goal after just 12 seconds, when Jon-Jo Bates’ long-range shot unsettled keeper Liam Gooch who fumbled before grabbing the ball at the second attempt. At the other end Graeme Montgomery shot high over the bar from distance, but the pattern of the afternoon was soon set. Chesham had the majority of possession in the first half but the wind often proved to be a hindrance with too many through balls going out over the goal-line. However on 13 minutes Matt Bevans set up Benji Crilley for a cross-shot that took a deflection out for a corner. From the resulting kick David Hutton and Scott McGleish had shots blocked, but the ball was crossed back in and Benji Crilley rose to head his first goal for the club. Biggleswade’s best effort of the half came when a long shot from Daniel Jarvis was pushed out by Hafed Al-Droubi, but Chesham still had more of the ball but could do little with it. In first-half stoppage time Joe Iaciofano cut in from the right but his left-foot shot flew harmlessly wide of the near post.

In the second half Biggleswade had the wind advantage but, like Chesham in the first half, were unable to do much with it. Early on Graeme Montgomery turned a Daniel Jarvis cross wide of the near post, then a Jarvis cross was headed out to Nathan Hicks who shot wastefully wide from the edge of the area. Midway through the half Hicks set up Jarvis on the right, but the winger’s shot was comfortably saved by the advancing Hafed Al-Droubi. The game was still in the balance ten minutes from time when Chesham moved two goals clear. A neat move down the left ended with sub Adam Watkins crossing for Lewis Toomey to net from close range. That settled the game as a contest and Lewis Toomey’s log-range effort forced Gooch to dive to his left to save. In stoppage time Graeme Montgomery swung a free kick into the Chesham area and Reece Fielding’s header was tipped over by Hafed Al-Droubi, then Chesham broke forward with Jon-Jo Bates pulling the ball back for Joe Iaciofano but Gooch spread himself to save.
Benji Crilley 2 Tyler Walker
Jhai Dhillon 3 Jordan Patrick
Matt Bevans 4 Reece Fielding
Kieran Murphy 5 Nathan Hicks
Darren Locke 6 Gavin Hoyte
David Hutton 7 Daniel Jarvis
Jon-Jo Bates 8 Robbie Parker
Scott McGleish 9 George Bailey
Joe Iaciofano 10 Jack Bowen
Oran Swales 11 Graeme Montgomery
Lewis Toomey 12 Lucas Perry
Shane Bush 14 Conrad Lucan
Adam Watkins 15 Hugh Alban-Jones
Ahmed El-Sahib 16 Craig Daniel
Adam Pepera 17 -
Used Substitutes
Toomey for McGleish 66   Lucas for Jarvis 66
Bush for Swales 75   Alban-Jones for Hicks 82
Watkins for Hutton 79    
Crilley 14    
Toomey 80    
    Parker 43
Sent Off