Evostik League South Logo

The BigFreeBet.com Challenge Cup 2nd Round

Tuesday 7th November 2017

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 84

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
AFC Dunstable
Man Of The Match
Adam Watkins
Hafed Al-Droubi 1 Jamie Head In front of the lowest home crowd for many years, Chesham progressed to the last 16 of the Southern League Cup with a comfortable win against their opponents from the eastern division.

The starting line-up included four of the five players who were on the bench for Saturday’s win at King’s Lynn, plus Zack Reynolds who returned after missing four matches with injury. 19-year-old midfielder Charlie Hayford made his debut for the club as a second-half substitute. The game was played in persistent heavy drizzle which kept the attendance down to a mere 84, and as is normal in this competition the match lacked a competitive edge. Chesham took the lead in the fifteenth minute, when Zack Reynolds crossed from wide on the left and Joe Iaciofano headed in at the near post. Chesham had the better of the few chances that were created in a quiet first half, and visiting keeper Jamie Head was forced to rush from his goal to clear from Oran Swales. Dunstable’s best effort of the half came when Ollie Cox’s long-range effort dipped just over the angle of post and bar.

Early in the second half Dunstable’s BJ Christie cut in from the right and shot across goal but wide of the far post. However Chesham came closer with both Joe Iaciofano and Scott McGleish having shots blocked in quick succession. On 65 minutes Dunstable scored a surprise equaliser, when Newman Carney floated a free kick into the Chesham area and Bill Morgan was left unmarked to stroke the ball past Hafed Al-Droubi. However the visitors were only level for two minutes, as Benji Crilley restored Chesham’s lead with a close-range finish after Joe Iaciofano’s shot had come back off a post. Four minutes later Bill Morgan passed back to Jamie Head, but Lewis Toomey got to the ball first only to be brought down by the keeper’s late challenge. David Hutton converted the resulting penalty to make it 3-1. At the other end Ryan Frater headed in Newman Carney’s corner to halve the deficit, but Chesham then restored their two-goal lead with the fifth goal in a 14-minute spell. Chesham won a free kick 30 yards from the visitors’ goal, and Adam Watkins touched the ball into the path of David Hutton whose rising drive found the net to the keeper’s right.
Benji Crilley 2 Christian Tavernier
Zack Reynolds 3 Newman Carney
Adam Watkins 4 Ryan Frater
Kieran Murphy 5 Bill Morgan
Adam Pepera 6 Terry Griffiths
Oran Swales 7 Ollie Cox
Jon-Jo Bates 8 James Bishop
Shane Bush 9 BJ Christie
Joe Iaciofano 10 Louis Bircham
Scott McGleish 11 Jermaine Hall
Lewis Toomey 12 Nathan Frater
David Hutton 14 Moses Olaleye
Matt Bevans 15 Dan Blackman
Charlie Hayford 16 -
Darren Locke 17 Matt Langston
Used Substitutes
Hutton for Bates 45   Blackman for Bircham 41
Hayford for McGleish 60   N Frater for Cox 60
Toomey for Iaciofabo 69   Olaleye for Tavernier 78
Iaciofano 15   Morgan 65
Crilley 67   R Frater 75
Hutton Pen 71, 79    
Hutton 64   Tavernier 48
    Morgan 78
Sent Off