Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 27th August 2016

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 310

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Dave Pearce
Ashlee Jones 1 Dan Thomas Two first-half goals, one for each side, meant that Chesham secured their third successive draw. Chesham’s goal was a gift from visiting goalkeeper Dan Thomas, but the team looked well in control of the game until Weymouth’s surprise equaliser shortly before half-time. That goal breathed life into the visitors and they eventually held on even after being reduced to ten men.

Chesham were unchanged for the fifth match running. Weymouth had the first effort on goal in the ninth minute, Jordan Copp working a shooting chance but firing well wide, but it was Chesham who took the lead seven minutes later. Dave Pearce’s right-wing corner sailed over the outstretched arm of keeper Dan Thomas, hit the far post and bounced into the net. Chesham looked in control of the game for most of the rest of the half. Sam Youngs shot over the bar, then Ryan Blake was sent clear on the left and beat Thomas from a narrow angle but the ball went past the far post. Sam Youngs then got on the end of a Dave Pearce cross but his header was easily saved by Thomas. Weymouth came back and a shot from Billy Lowes hit his team-mate Stewart Yetton, who reacted quickest to get to the loose ball but shot well wide. At the other end Drew Roberts shot wide from 25 yards, but the visitors scored a surprise equaliser on 44 minutes. A right-wing cross was turned back across goal by Ben Thomson, Chesham’s defence hesitated and Yetton pounced to poke the ball home from close range.

Early in the second half Thomas just tipped away a left-wing cross from Sam Youngs, then Drew Roberts crossed and Ryan Blake was twice denied by Thomas. However Weymouth began to look a threat for the first time in the game, full-back Mark Cooper curling a left-foot shot just over the bar. On 69 minutes Ryan Blake beat Calvin Brooks and was brought down, Brooks earning a second yellow card. However Chesham were unable to exploit the man advantage and Weymouth had the best chance of the half, when Jordan Copp’s corner was turned back across goal by Stephane Zubar and Stewart Yetton’s header was pushed onto the bar by Ashlee Jones. Late in the game a Ryan Blake cross was helped on by Drew Roberts to Brad Wadkins, but Thomas spread himself to save. Sub Matt Taylor fired a 30-yard shot just wide late on but otherwise Chesham rarely looked like finding a winner.
Brett Longden 2 Mark Cooper
Toby Little 3 Jake Wannell
Benji Crilley 4 Billy Lowes
Darren Purse 5 Stephane Zubar
Adam Martin 6 Calvin Brooks
Dave Pearce 7 Mark Molesley
Sam Youngs 8 Charlie Davis
Ryan Blake 9 Stewart Yetton
Drew Roberts 10 Ben Thomson
Bruce Wilson 11 Jordan Copp
Mat Mitchell-King 12 Ashley Wells
Brad Wadkins 14 Sam Jordan
Ben Ford 15 Aaron Rodriquez
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 16 Dan Smith
Matt Taylor 17 Jason Matthews
Used Substitutes
Wadkins For Youngs 78   Jordan For Thomson 79
Taylor For Martin 81   Wells For Molesley 86
Pearce 16   Yetton 44
Martin 65   Brooks 22
Purse 72   Cooper 62
Crilley 86   Molesley 80
Sent Off
    Brooks 69