Evostik League South Logo

The Evostik League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 11th March 2017

DCS Stadium, Tiddington, Stratford-upon-Avon

Attendance 196

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Stratford Town
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Mat Mitchel-King
Jake Weaver 1 Richard Hayward Chesham were forced to settle for a second consecutive draw which does little to help their play-off hopes. Stratford led for much of the second half against a depleted Chesham side, but ultimately the home team were the happier to take a point.

With Lawrence Yiga and Matt Taylor missing, Adam Martin and Drew Roberts returned to the starting line-up after injury, while 37-year-old Richard Hayward returned after an absence of nearly seven years to take the place of Ashlee Jones in goal. Of the four outfield players on the bench, only Stephan Hamilton-Forbes had previously played for the first team. Both sides had efforts on goal early on, Sam Youngs hitting a first-time shot just wide, then at the other end Mike Taylor was off target with a free header from a right-wing cross. Chesham came back and Phil Roberts cut in and sent a speculative effort past the far post, then Benji Crilley headed wide from Dave Pearce’s corner. However after an open start there was little goalmouth action at either end until close to half-time. Daniel Summerfield shot over after his cross came back to him off Toby Little, Richard Hayward dived to his left to hold a shot from Ben Stephens, then George Forsyth headed over from Grocott’s corner.

Brett Longden, who had needed treatment in the first half, was replaced at the interval by Stephan Hamilton-Forbes. In the third minute after the restart Mike Taylor glanced a header past Richard Hayward and into the net to give the home side the lead. Stratford could have added a second when Ben Stephens rounded Richard Hayward and squared to Mike Taylor who could only stab the ball wide. However the home side faded and Chesham came back into the game, Toby Little cutting the ball back for Drew Roberts whose first-time shot flew over. Midway through the half home keeper Jake Weaver dropped a Dave Pearce corner but Adam Martin’s shot was blocked, then at the other end Benji Crilley was down injured and Will Grocott ran through but shot high and wide. On 76 minutes Phil Roberts broke away on the right, but his angled drive was blocked by the onrushing keeper. Three minutes later a neat build-up between Sam Youngs and Drew Roberts set up Ryan Blake, who shot past the advancing keeper and into the net to equalise. Phil Roberts unleashed another powerful shot that Weaver saved, then at the other end Richard Hayward saved twice in quick succession from Will Grocott. The last chance of the game came and went as Adam Martin headed high and wide from Dave Pearce’s free kick.
Daniel Summerfield 2 Brett Longden
James Hancocks 3 Toby Little
James Fry 4 Mat Mitchel-King
Guy Clark 5 Benji Crilley
Emmit Delfouneso 6 Adam Martin
George Forsyth 7 Dave Pearce
Will Grocott 8 Sam Youngs
Mike Taylor 9 Phil Roberts
Justin Marsden 10 Drew Roberts
Ben Stephens 11 Ryan Blake
Edwin Ahenkorah 12 Joe Devaney
- 13 Ashlee Jones
Barry Fitzharris 14 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Liam Francis 15 Cameron Hyde
Dylan Parker 17 Shaun Reece
Used Substitutes
Fitzharris For Marsden 78   Hamilton-Forbes For Longden 45
Taylor 48   Blake 79
Delfouneso 88   Blake 66
Hancocks 90+2