Evostik League South Logo

The Emirates FA Cup Third Round Qualifying

Saturday 1st October 2016

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 354

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Staines Town
Man Of The Match
Drew Roberts
Ashlee Jones 1 Jack Turner Two second-half goals from Drew Roberts put Chesham into the Fourth Qualifying Round for the second year running. Staines were unbeaten in eight games in the Ryman Premier and made a strong start, but after that Chesham controlled the rest of the game and were much the better team on the day.

There were three changes to the team, Adam Martin, Matt Taylor and Barry Hayles replacing Ryan Blake, Brad Wadkins and Stephan Hamilton-Forbes who was suspended. Bruce Wilson dropped back to play left-back with Benji Crilley reverting to the right and Sam Youngs in midfield. Staines made the better start and in the third minute Adrian Clifton shot wide from the edge of the area after Mat Mitchel-King had headed clear. After the opening ten minutes Chesham began to come into the game, Barry Hayles crossing from the right to Drew Roberts whose header was comfortably held by keeper Jack Turner. Adam Martin then set up Sam Youngs for a shot which was well saved by Turner low to his right. Drew Roberts then got on the end of a Sam Youngs corner but his header was tipped away, then Roberts crossed from the right to Barry Hayles who misdirected a header across goal. Chesham played a lot of neat passing football in the rest of the half but without troubling the Staines defence. As half-time approached Staines came forward, Chinua Cole’s cross was headed out by Darren Purse to Jefferson Louis who shot harmlessly wide from just outside the area.

Chesham broke the deadlock three minutes after the restart. A hurried clearance by Turner was seized on by Sam Youngs, who fed Barry Hayles who ran into the penalty area and squared to Drew Roberts who just had to walk the ball into the net. Staines showed greater urgency and Max Worsfold’s cross was just parried by Ashlee Jones and hacked away to safety. Shortly before the hour mark Mo Bettamer went for goal from a free kick out on the left but Ashlee Jones dived to his left to tip the ball away. However Chesham were still dangerous on the break and Sam Youngs set up Dave Pearce for a low shot which Turner just got a hand to. With 20 minutes to go Chesham moved two ahead when Drew Roberts ran on to Barry Hayles’ pass and rounded Turner who brought him down for a clear penalty. Under the new regulations Turner was only shown a yellow card, and Roberts sent the keeper the wrong way from the spot. Staines still looked to get back in the game but were looking like a beaten side, and Chesham still looked the more likely to score. Seven minutes from time a crossfield ball from Brad Wadkins found Dave Pearce, who ran into the area and shot but Turner just got a touch to turn the ball onto a post. After that Chesham were content to see out time which they managed with some ease.
Benji Crilley 2 Bobby Behzadi
Sam Youngs 3 Chinua Cole
Mat Mitchell-King 4 Wadah Ahmidi
Darren Purse 5 Devante McKain
Adam Martin 6 De'Reece Vanderhyde
Dave Pearce 7 Bayley Brown
Matt Taylor 8 Adrian Clifton
Barry Hayles 9 Jefferson Louis
Drew Roberts 10 Mo Bettamer
Bruce Wilson 11 Max Worsfold
Ryan Blake 12 Jonathan Hippolyte
Matt Nolan 13 Sam Whatman
Brad Wadkins 14 Kane Haysman
Shaun Reece 15 Tommy Brewer
Ronnel Dennis 16 Bradley Wilson
Taylor McKenzie 17 Jeremiah Chong
Callum Woodcock 18 Deshane Dalling
Used Substitutes
Wadkins For Taylor 77   Haysman For Bettamer 61
Blake For Roberts 80   Dalling For Ahmadi 72
    Hippolyte For Louis 77
Roberts 48, Pen 71     
Roberts 59   McKain 55
    Cole 63
    Turner 70