Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Tuesday 9th August 2016

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 302

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
St Ives Town
Man Of The Match
Sam Youngs
Ashlee Jones 1 Oliver Sutton Two headed goals early in each half gave Chesham a comfortable win over newly-promoted St Ives. After taking an early lead Chesham never looked like losing, and Ashlee Jones did not have a serious save to make in the whole game.

The only change to the starting line-up saw Brett Longden make his debut after suspension, so Benji Crilley moved into the centre of defence and Adam Martin into midfield in place of Matt Taylor. Chesham went on the attack from the start, and in the fourth minute Ryan Blake worked a shooting chance and fired just wide. Chesham took the lead in the eighth minute after keeper Oliver Sutton dropped a right-wing cross and Drew Roberts’ shot was blocked, but the ball came to Toby Little whose cross from the left touchline was headed in at the near post by Sam Youngs. The visitors started to push forward and Buster Harradine’s shot was part-blocked by Darren Purse and saved by Ashlee Jones. Tom McGowan and Jack Higgs were both off target with long-range efforts, but St Ives were making little headway. Towards half-time Chesham came close when a left-wing corner was taken short by Dave Pearce, Toby Little’s cross was headed out and Bruce Wilson shot just wide. Another Chesham corner was only partly cleared and Benji Crilley’s shot from just inside the area came back off the post. Oliver Sutton then fumbled another corner and Darren Purse hooked the ball across goal, the ball eventually coming to Dave Pearce who shot over.

Chesham started the second half on the attack and doubled their lead after 49 minutes, when Dave Pearce’s free kick from the left edge of the area was headed in at the far post by Sam Youngs. St Ives were still struggling to deal with set pieces, and a Dave Pearce corner came to Darren Purse who squared and Sam Youngs shot over. Another Pearce corner then found Darren Purse who could only glance a header past the far post. St Ives made a double substitution and pushed Jordan Jarrold further forward, but Chesham threatened again when a right-wing move ended with Dave Pearce having a shot hacked away by Lee Chaffey. Midway through the half the visitors came close when Josh Dawkin set up Jarrold who shot over, then a left-wing move saw Jarrold again in space but Benji Crilley slid in to block. St Ives never came close again as Chesham played out time, and late in the game Ryan Blake controlled a long free kick from Ashlee Jones and curled a shot wide of the far post.
Brett Longden 2 Harry O'Malley
Toby Little 3 Jordan Jarrold
Benji Crilley 4 Charlie De'Ath
Darren Purse 5 Liam McDevitt
Adam Martin 6 Jack Higgs
Dave Pearce 7 Ben Seymour-Shove
Sam Youngs 8 Tom McGowan
Ryan Blake 9 Andrew Phillips
Drew Roberts 10 Buster Harradine
Bruce Wilson 11 Josh Dawkin
Kelvin Bossman 12 Lee Chaffey
Brad Wadkins 14 Scott Sinclair
Ben Ford 15 Lewis Clayton
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 16 Joe Carden
Matt Taylor 17 Sam Ives
Used Substitutes
Wadkins For Roberts 78   Chaffey For Seymour-Shove 61
Taylor For Youngs 78   Ives For Phillips 61
Ford For Little 85   Carden For O'Malley 78
Youngs 8,49    
Blake 90+4   McGowan 24
    De'Ath 84