Evostik League South Logo

The Evostik League Southern Premier Division

Tuesday 21st February 2017

ProEdge Stadium, St Ives

Attendance 152

Match Report By Simon Newbury

St Ives Town
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Sam Youngs
Tim Trebes 1 Ashlee Jones Chesham ended a run of four successive defeats with this comfortable win against mid-table St Ives. Chesham had the better of the first half on a difficult playing surface, but after the interval took control and were good value for the win.

There were three changes to the starting line-up, Dave Pearce and Barry Hayles returning in place of Stephan Hamilton-Forbes and Benji Crilley, with Toby Little reverting to left back. With Drew Roberts injured Phil Roberts, who had signed for the club earlier in the day, went straight into the starting eleven. The pitch at St Ives is never very good, and was probably made worse by the fact that groundsharers Cambridge City had played on it the night before. Chesham had the better of the opening exchanges and a left-wing corner was taken short to Toby Little, who crossed into the area to Phil Roberts whose shot was blocked. In the next minute Ashlee Jones and Brett Longden hesitated over a long clearance into the Chesham half, and Jared Cunniff nipped in but poked the ball well wide. On 17 minutes a long free kick from Toby Little was brought down by Phil Roberts, who turned and shot powerfully but straight at keeper Tim Trebes. Chesham continued to create the better chances, and Scott Sinclair missed a clearance which allowed Dave Pearce to run into the home penalty area and shoot into the side netting. Chesham’s best chance of the half came on the half-hour, when Dave Pearce dispossessed Sinclair and crossed low into the area but Barry Hayles could only lift the ball over the bar from six yards. At the other end a long-range effort from Josh Dawkin was well tipped over by Ashlee Jones, but the half ended with a shot on the turn from Phil Roberts that was well saved by Trebes.

In the opening minute of the second half Dave Pearce’s left-wing cross was headed just wide of the near post by Barry Hayles. Chesham were starting to take complete control of the game and Hayles had another shot on the turn blocked at the expense of a corner. In the 63rd minute Chesham took the lead when Toby Little’s cross from the left was headed across the keeper and into the net at the near post by Ryan Blake, who marked his 150th appearance for the club with his 50th goal. St Ives never looked like getting anything from the game after that, and Chesham continued in command but too often the final ball was missing. On 77 minutes a Dave Pearce corner was cleared, Darren Purse crossed back in and Phil Roberts’ header from six yards hit keeper Tim Trebes and bounced away. However two minutes later Sam Youngs broke away down the right and chipped the ball over Trebes and into the net to clinch the win.
Scott Sinclair 2 Brett Longden
Charlie De'Ath 3 Toby Little
Lee Chaffey 4 Mat Mitchel-King
Liam McDevitt 5 Darren Purse
Jack Higgs 6 Matt Taylor
Josh Dawkin 7 Dave Pearce
Jack Bradshaw 8 Sam Youngs
Kasey Douglas 9 Barry Hayles
Jared Cunniff 10 Phil Roberts
Jordan Jarrold 11 Ryan Blake
Harry O'Malley 12 Benji Crilley
Ben Seymour-Shove 14 David Hutton
Danny Kelly 15 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
- 16 Oran Sawles
- 17 Shaun Reece
Used Substitutes
Kelly For Higgs 55   Hutton For Hayles 75
Seymour-Shove For Douglas 64   Hamilton-Forbes For Pearce 81
    Swales For Roberts 88
    Blake 63
    Youngs 79