Evostik League South Logo

The Evostik League Southern Premier Division

Monday 2nd January 2017

Arbour Park, Slough

Attendance 918

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Slough Town
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Darren Purse
Mark Scott 1 Ashlee Jones Chesham secured their first league away win since October with this fine victory over second-placed Slough. After going behind Chesham turned the game around with two goals in two minutes, after which the home side rarely looked like getting anything from the game.

There was only one change to the starting eleven, Dave Pearce returning in place of Toby Little. Slough shaded the early stages although both sides passed the ball well on Slough’s artificial surface. The first serious effort on goal brought the opening goal on 21 minutes, when James Dobson’s left wing cross came to Lee Togwell whose shot was saved but not held by Ashlee Jones and Gavin James scored from close range. Chesham played with greater urgency and created half-chances for Dave Pearce and Brad Wadkins which came to nothing. Chesham’s cause was not helped when Brad Wadkins broke away down the right but the referee stopped play for an injury to Simon Dunn, then Wadkins looked to have timed his run perfectly to break clear on to Barry Hayles’ pass but the linesman still put his flag up for offside. In stoppage time Ryan Blake crossed from the left, Matt Taylor got a flick on but Barry Hayles was unable to turn the ball goalwards.

Early in the second half Darren Purse was injured in an aerial challenge with Chris Flood, and was forced to go off temporarily to stop the flow of blood from his nose. Slough tried to take advantage when James Dobson’s corner came to Flood whose header was cleared off the line by Matt Taylor. However Purse came back on and Chesham immediately turned the game on its head. Dave Pearce took a corner short, Ryan Blake crossed into the area and Barry Hayles headed past Mark Scott into the far corner of the net. Two minutes later Blake set up Matt Taylor on the right, Taylor tried to squeeze the ball past Scott but the ball was blocked and Dave Pearce tapped in from close range. Slough came back and James Dobson’s left-foot drive was tipped round the post by Ashlee Jones, then Warren Harris crossed from the right to Dan Hicks who headed wide. However the home side soon ran out of ideas, and long before the end were playing the ball hopefully forward without causing any problems for the Chesham defence. In the last minute of normal time Chesham brought on Taylor McKenzie after Slough threw defender Dan Hicks forward, and Chesham could have sealed the points soon afterwards when Matt Taylor squared to Ryan Blake who shot over. In the fourth minute of stoppage time Slough’s last chance came and went, when Charlie Moone broke forward down the home right but the resulting shot was comfortably saved by Ashlee Jones.
Sean Fraser 2 Benji Crilley
Paul Stonehouse 3 Brett Longden
Dan Hicks 4 Mat Mitchell-King
Mark Nisbet 5 Darren Purse
Lee Togwell 6 Adam Martin
James Dobson 7 Dave Pearce
Simon Dunn 8 Matt Taylor
Chris Flood 9 Barry Hayles
Gavin James 10 Brad Wadkins
Warren Harris 11 Ryan Blake
Josh Jackman 12 Toby Little
Nathan Smart 14 Sam Youngs
Lewis Putman 15 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Charlie Moone 16 Taylor McKenzie
Nathan Webb 17 Shaun Reece
Used Substitutes
Moone For Flood 68   Youngs For Hayles 73
Putman For Dobson 73   McKenzie For Pearce 90
Webb For Stonehouse 84   Hamilton-Forbes For Blake 90+4
James 21   Hayles 54
    Pearce 56
Dunn 41   Martin 65
    Wadkins 70
    Taylor 79