Evostik League South Logo

The Emirates FA Cup First Round Qualfying

Saturday 3rd September 2016

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 325

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Saffron Walden Town
Man Of The Match
Dave Pearce
Ashlee Jones  1 Lee Pacey Chesham cruised past their Eastern Counties League opponents to progress to the FA Cup Second Qualifying Round. Saffron Walden came to play an open game rather than try to stifle, but Chesham were easily the better team and the final result was a fair reflection of their superiority.

Sam Youngs and Bruce Wilson were restored to the starting line-up after being rested for Monday’s win at Kings Langley, Bruce Wilson making his 200th appearance for the club. Chesham came close twice early on, firstly when Drew Roberts’ shot was tipped away by keeper Lee Pacey, then from the resulting corner Darren Purse’s header was cleared off the line by Matt Snelling. The visitors then had their best moment of the half when James Crane got in behind the defence but shot straight at Ashlee Jones. Sam Youngs then played a one-two with Adam Martin and shot just wide, but the game then went into a quiet phase with Chesham having plenty of possession without stretching the visitors’ defence. However on 40 minutes Dave Pearce gave Chesham the lead with a curling shot from just outside the area past the right hand of the diving Pacey. Chesham then began to create chances, Sam Youngs shooting from the edge of the area but Pacey saved, then the keeper dived to his right to tip away a rising drive from Drew Roberts. In stoppage time a dummy from Sam Youngs let in Drew Roberts who shot low from 25 yards but just past the post.

Early in the second half Drew Roberts shot from the edge of the area, Brad Wadkins attempted to get a touch but Pacey still needed to turn the ball past the post. Another neat Chesham move saw Dave Pearce shoot, but Pacey saved and spread himself to block Brad Wadkins’ backheel from the loose ball. Chesham were now in full flow and on 55 minutes Dave Pearce took a corner short, collected the return pass from Bruce Wilson and crossed for Brad Wadkins to head in at the far post. Five minutes later Toby Little got to the by-line on the left and crossed for Wadkins to head Chesham’s third. On 70 minutes Ashlee Jones hit a long free kick into the visitors’ penalty area, Mat Mitchel-King rose to head against the bar and Dave Pearce headed home the loose ball to make it 4-0. Chesham then brought on Ryan Blake who almost immediately came close with a 25-yard shot. As the rain got heavier Chesham eased off and Saffron Walden came close to a consolation, sub Charlie Dicker crossing from the right to James Crane who blazed over from a good position. Ashlee Jones then saved a long-range effort from Crane and blocked Max Drane’s attempted follow-up. However Chesham were to have the last word, when Ryan Blake ran through a tired defence to slot home Chesham’s fifth. Chesham could have had another in stoppage time when Benji Crilley set up Ryan Blake who shot wide of the keeper but past the post.
Benji Crilley 2 Spike Bell
Toby Little 3 Ryan Dewey
Mat Mitchell-King 4 Matt Snelling
Darren Purse 5 Perry Moody
Adam Martin 6 Jake Noble
Dave Pearce 7 Joe Murphy
Sam Youngs 8 Marc Abbott
Brad Wadkins 9 Daniel Grindrod
Drew Roberts 10 Shaun Avis
Bruce Wilson 11 James Crane
Ryan Blake 12 Max Drane
Matt Nolan 13 -
Brett Longden 14 Charlie Dicker
Ronnel Dennis 15 Jacob Kitchener
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 16 Jamie Dicker
Matt Taylor 17 Oliver Borley
- 18 Stuart Wardley
Used Substitutes
Blake For Wadkins 70   C Dicker For Dewey 62
Longden For Little 70   Drane For Snelling 70
Hamilton-Forbes For Martin 75    
Pearce 40, 70    
Wadkins 55, 60    
Blake 89    
Purse 22   Murphy 72
Wadkins 44