Evostik League South Logo

The Evostik League Southern Challenge Cup First Round

Tuesday 11th October 2016

The Pakex Stadium, Potters Bar

Attendance 71

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Potters Bar Town
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Michal Gorniak
Shane Gilsenan  1 Matt Nolan  With these teams meeting again in the FA Cup on Saturday, both sides rested almost their entire first team for this Southern League Cup first round tie.  Chesham fielded a virtual reserve side yet still managed to make it through to the second round.

Of the fourteen players used by Chesham, twelve were making their first-team debuts, while only three of Potters Bar’s team featured in their FA Trophy tie on Saturday.  Chesham took the lead after just 50 seconds, Michal Gorniak stroking the ball past keeper Shane Gilsenan from fifteen yards.  Shortly afterwards Gorniak beat the keeper to a through ball from Maciej Tajs, but the keeper was able to block Gorniak’s attempted lob.  The home side first came close after fourteen minutes, when Jack Lyons blew a shooting chance with a tame effort that Matt Nolan easily collected.  However four minutes later Lyons had a similar chance, and this time blasted the ball in off the crossbar for the equalising goal.  In the next minute Gorniak got on the end of Ollie Beazley’s pass and rounded the keeper, but took the ball wide and the defence were able to recover at the expense of a corner.  The home team came close when Srdan Jovanovic’s header was tipped over by Matt Nolan, but Chesham regained the lead when Michal Gorniak beat defender Jordan Lawal to Kemani Murray’s pass and Lawal brought Gorniak down just inside the area.  Gorniak himself converted the resulting penalty.  Gorniak had two further chances before half-time, heading over from Ryan Willoughby’s corner then missing his kick after fine work from Callum Woodcock.

The home side started the second half strongly, Josh Smith firing over after Chesham’s defence could only half-clear Jack Lyons’ ball into the area.  On 55 minutes Potters Bar equalised when Jack Lyons caught the defence out with a quickly-taken free kick from wide on the left that nestled just inside the far post, Kennedy Steele-Dadzie claiming a touch on the way in.  Matt Nolan was then called into action to tip over a long shot from Nathan McArdle, and then to parry another McArdle shot on the turn.  As the game moved to a close Srdan Jovanovic headed wide of the far post, then a shot from Kennedy Steele-Dadzie beat Nolan but came back off a post.  George Robinson then wasted another good chance, shooting off-balance and slicing the ball high and wide from a dangerous position.  However as the game seemed sure to go to penalties Chesham conjured up a late winner, when the home defence could not clear Callum Woodcock’s free kick and the ball eventually fell to Michal Gorniak who forced the ball in from close range.
Daniel Pett  2 Maciej Tajs 
George Robinson  3 Ollie Beazley 
Jordan Lawal  4 Ronnel Dennis 
Luke Metselaar  5 Kieran Russell 
Josh Smith  6 Taylor McKenzie 
Lamar Simpson  7 Kemani Murray 
Dave Lawrence  8 Noah Bennett-Mays 
Srdan Jovanovic  9 Michal Gorniak 
Jack Lyons  10 Callum Woodcock 
 Aaron McArdle 11 Ryan Willoughby 
 Alfie Gibbs 12 Charlie Brooks 
 Kennedy Steele-Dadzie 14 Hawkar Kider 
Michael Murray  15 Joao Rui 
  16 Owusu Osei 
Used Substitutes
 Steele-Dadzie For Simpson 45   Osei For McKenzie 60 
    Brooks For Willoughby 69 
    Rui For Bennett-Mays 77 
 Lyons 18   Gorniak 1, 33 pen, 90+4 
Steele-Dadzie 55     
    Gorniak 90+5