Evostik League South Logo

The Buildbase FA Trophy First Round Qualftying

Saturday 29th October 2016

Fetcham Grove, Leatherhead

Attendance 255

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Dave Pearce
Will Godman 1 Ashlee Jones Chesham advanced in the FA trophy with a narrow win over Ryman Premier strugglers Leatherhead. In an open game Chesham looked to have made the game safe until the home side reduced the arrears on 78 minutes, which led to a nervy finish.

Ryan Blake came back in place of Drew Roberts up front, and the only other change to the team saw Matt Taylor replace Adam Martin, who was one yellow card away from a suspension which would have ruled him out of the Peterborough game. Chesham looked sharper early on, with Sam Youngs just failing to turn in a Matt Taylor long throw in the fourth minute. Six minutes later Chesham took the lead, when a neat passing move involving Sam Youngs and Ryan Blake saw Brad Wadkins set up Dave Pearce on the left for a shot across the keeper into the far corner. Leatherhead’s first moment of danger came after 20 minutes, when a hurried clearance came to Kadell Daniel whose shot was pushed away by Ashlee Jones. Five minutes later the home team were awarded a free kick on the edge of the Chesham area, and Tyron Smith’s shot went straight into the corner of the net for a surprise equaliser. Leatherhead drew encouragement from this success, and in the next minute Tom Bradbrook’s shot on the turn was pushed onto a post by Ashlee Jones and cleared by Dave Pearce. However Chesham retook the lead on the half-hour, when Matt Taylor’s long throw was helped on by Mat Mitchel-King and Dave Pearce’s right-foot shot found the corner of the net just inside the far post. Leatherhead came back with Richard Seixas working a shooting chance only to mishit the ball well wide.

Early in the second half Benji Crilley’s throw was headed out as far as Dave Pearce who mishit his shot wide, then Brad Wadkins set up Ryan Blake for a shot that home keeper Will Godman saved comfortably. However on 53 minutes Wadkins won the ball in the Leatherhead half and again found Ryan Blake, who shot low from 25 yards into the corner of the net to make it 3-1. Shortly afterwards Leatherhead won another free kick in a dangerous position, but Tyron Smith’s shot deflected off the wall and over the bar. Just after the hour mark Ryan Blake raced away down the right and fired in a shot that Godman parried, and the ball eventually came back to Blake who shot high and wide. Both sides made substitutions, and within two minutes of coming on Drew Roberts fired in a shot that was deflected wide. However the home side’s replacements were to have the greater effect, Ryan Mahal setting up Callum Davies whose shot was saved by Ashlee Jones and cleared by Stephan Hamilton-Forbes. In the next minute a long cross from the right by Richard Seixas was headed back across goal and into the net by Tom Bradbrook to bring the home side back within one goal. Three minutes from time sub Tomi Adeloye fired in a shot that Ashlee Jones saved and dived on the loose ball. Leatherhead threw everything into a last-ditch assault, but Chesham were untroubled apart from a late long-range effort from Kadell Daniel that was well held by Ashlee Jones.
Chris Parr 2 Benji Crilley
James Fenlon 3 Bruce Wilson
Tyron Smith 4 Mat Mitchell-King
TJ Moncur 5 Darren Purse
Jerry Nnamani 6 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Kadell Daniel 7 Dave Pearce
Paul Semakula 8 Sam Youngs
Tom Bradrook 9 Brad Wadkins
Richard Seixas 10 Ryan Blake
Rashid Kamara 11 Matt Taylor
Ryan Mahal 12 Barry Hayles
Charlie Harris 14 Drew Roberts
Callum Davies 15 Toby Little
Giuseppe Sole 16 Adam Martin
Tomi Adeloye 17 Taylor McKenzie
Used Substitutes
Davies For Semakula 61   Roberts For Blake 74
Adeloye For Kamara 74   Hayles For Wadkins 83
Mahul For Moncur 77   Martin For Hamilton-Forbes 90
Smith 25   Pearce 10,30
Bradbrook 78   Blake 53
Kamara 58   Youngs 84