Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 10th September 2016

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 257

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Kings Lynn Town
Man Of The Match
Adam Martin
Ashlee Jones 1 Alexander Street Chesham lost for the first time since the opening day of the season, on an afternoon when the main topic of discussion was the performance of the match officials.

Chesham were unchanged from last week’s FA Cup win over Saffron Walden. Chesham made a bright start, although Toby Hilliard tested Ashlee Jones with an early shot that the keeper saved comfortably. In the 16th minute Chesham took the lead with a well-worked goal, Brad Wadkins feeding Sam Youngs on the right and Youngs’ low cross was controlled by Dave Pearce who found the bottom corner of the net with a low drive. The visitors had offered little in attack but on 24 minutes Lee Stevenson crossed low from the right, Chesham failed to clear and Jacek Zielonka equalised with a low shot into the far corner. Chesham began to exert some pressure as the half wore on, Darren Purse heading just past the far post from a Sam Youngs corner. On 34 minutes Dave Pearce’s cross found the head of Sam Youngs whose diving header came off a defender for a corner, then a Sam Youngs corner was punched out by keeper Alexander Street and Adam Martin’s shot came off a defender and off the outside of the post.

Eight minutes after restart came the incident that turned the game. As Ashlee Jones attempted to drop-kick the ball clear, Toby Hilliard moved across and blocked his path with the result that Jones could only miskick the ball straight to Michael Clunan 30 yards from goal. There was a brief moment when everyone waited for a whistle but it never came, and Clunan lobbed the ball over Jones into the unguarded net. As the visitors celebrated their good fortune Chesham’s players protested, but it appeared that neither the referee nor the linesman had seen the incident. Things got even worse four minutes later when Darren Purse was shown a second yellow card for an innocuous-looking tackle, and Andy Leese was sent to the stands for protesting. Chesham reshuffled and attempted to get back in the game, and on 71 minutes Jordan Yong appeared to catch Brad Wadkins as he cleared from the visitors’ penalty area, but the referee gave a free kick the other way. Two minutes later Dave Pearce crossed from the left to Brad Wadkins whose header was beaten away by Street. King’s Lynn were content to rely on breakaways and could have sewn up the game ten minutes from time, but Toby Hilliard took too long with only Ashlee Jones to beat and the ball was cleared. Late in the game sub Ryan Blake fired in a shot from wide on the right that Street tipped over. In stoppage time Dave Pearce crossed to Matt Taylor who side-footed goalwards but Street was able to save, then Pearce crossed to the near post but Brad Wadkins was unable to get a touch on the ball.
Benji Crilley 2 Danny Emmington
Toby Little 3 Jordan Yong
Matt Mitchell-King 4 Sam Gaughran
Darren Purse 5 Garry Mills
Adam Martin 6 Matthew Castellan
Dave Pearce 7 Michael Clunan
Sam Youngs 8 Lee Stevenson
Brad Wadkins 9 Jacek Zielonka
Drew Roberts 10 Dylan Edge
Bruce Wilson 11 Toby Hilliard
Ryan Blake 12 Liam Fryatt
Brett Longden 14 Danny Setchell
Barry Hayles 15 Eoin McQuoid
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 16 Alex Clunan
Matt Taylor 17 -
Used Substitutes
Longden For Youngs 70   Fryatt For Zielonka 79
Taylor For Wilson 70   A Clunan For Edge 87
Blake For Roberts 77    
Pearce 16   Zielonka 24
    M Clunan 53
Purse 43   Zielonka 79
Jones 54    
Martin 54    
Sent Off
Purse 57