Evostik League South Logo

The Evostik League Southern Premier Division

Tuesday 7th March 2017

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 215

Match Sponsored By Chesham Comedy Club

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Frome Town
Man Of The Match
Dave Pearce
Ashlee Jones 1 Kyle Phillips Chesham missed out on the chance to move closer to the play-off picture with a draw against the team immediately below them in the table. After taking control of the game in the second half Chesham finally broke through with eight minutes to go, only to ease off and allow the visitors back into the game.

With Darren Purse suspended Benji Crilley switched to the centre of defence, Brett Longden reverted to the right and Toby Little came in on the left. Matt Taylor returned after illness to take the place of David Hutton who has left the club, while Adam Martin was only fit enough for a place on the bench so Lawrence Yiga went straight into the starting eleven after signing from Harlow Town earlier in the day. Incredibly the game got off to the same start as last Tuesday’s at Leamington, as Ashlee Jones was penalised for handling a back-pass even though the ball had come off Benji Crilley’s thigh. After the referee ignored Chesham’s protests Sam Teale played the free kick sideways to George Miller, whose shot crashed against the bar. Frome had the better of the opening exchanges but without creating any more chances, while Chesham’s first moment of danger came when Phil Roberts cut in from the right and shot left-footed just past the near post. Chesham began to get into the game more but there was little goalmouth action until late in the half. Phil Roberts again cut in from the right but mishit his shot wide, then a good move down the left saw Ryan Blake have a shot blocked by keeper Kyle Phillips and Lawrence Yiga’s follow-up shot was well wide. Two minutes later Frome had a chance when Darren Jefferies set up Mike Bryant, who shot tamely wide from a good position.

Early in the second half Phil Roberts smashed in a shot that flew just wide, then Sam Youngs turned and shot across goal after being set up by Phil Roberts. Chesham continued to have the upper hand but it was only in the last fifteen minutes that they threatened to score. Sub Drew Roberts glanced a header wide from Dave Pearce’s corner, then from another Pearce corner Sam Teale came close to heading into his own net but the ball went just wide. Chesham finally broke through eight minutes from time, when a throw-in on the left led to Dave Pearce crossing for Sam Youngs who allowed the ball to hit his body and bounce into the net. That forced Frome to come out and they equalised just two minutes later, when George Miller’s free kick was not dealt with by the Chesham defence and Aidan Kirby netted from close range. With Chesham looking deflated Frome came close to pinching the points late on, firstly when Darren Jefferies shot just wide, then in stoppage time a George Miller free kick found Marcus Mapstone who shot straight at Ashlee Jones from a dangerous position.
Brett Longden 2 Kris Miller
Toby Little 3 Sam Teale
Mat Mitchel-King 4 Connor Roberts
Benji Crilley 5 Marcus Mapstone
Lawrence Yiga 6 George Miller
Dave Pearce 7 Ollie Knight
Sam Youngs 8 Mike Bryant
Ryan Blake 9 Jake Jackson
Phil Roberts 10 Aidan Kirby
Matt Taylor 11 Darren Jefferies
Drew Roberts 12 Clayton Green
Adam Martin 14 Chris Gregan
Alex Ward 15 Lewis Graham
Cameron Hyde 16 Ben Cleverley
Shaun Reece 17 Josh Jeffries
Used Substitutes
D Roberts For Little 75    
Youngs 82   Kirby 84
P Roberts 9   Mapstone 51
Crilley 90+2   K Miller 81