Evostik League South Logo

The Evostik League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 7th January 2017

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 369

Match Sponsored By Noel Brown - Chesham Mayor

Match Ball Sponsored By First Rate Exchange Services

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Dunstable Town
Man Of The Match
Ryan Blake
Ashlee Jones 1 Jamie Head Chesham took their recent run to 20 points from their last eight games, but made hard work of overcoming a Dunstable side who have now lost four of their last six. Chesham looked to be in control of the game after taking an early lead, but their performance tailed away in the second half and Dunstable could have got back in the game but for a lack of firepower.

The starting line-up was unchanged from the win over Slough, which meant that the returning Drew Roberts had to settle for a place on the bench. Chesham made a strong start and could have taken the lead in the third minute, when Dave Pearce’s corner came to Adam Martin whose shot was blocked and Barry Hayles’ follow-up was cleared off the line. In the eighth minute a neat move involving Barry Hayles and Brad Wadkins ended with Ryan Blake breaking clear to shoot past the advancing Jamie Head to give Chesham the lead. Shortly afterwards Blake rounded the keeper but went too wide and could only find the side netting. Dunstable came back when Shane Bush dispossessed Brett Longden and shot powerfully but just over the bar. However Chesham still had the upper hand and Barry Hayles and Brad Wadkins broke down the left, Dave Pearce set up Brad Wadkins whose shot on the turn was blocked by Gedeon Okita at the expense of a corner. Dave Pearce’s kick saw Adam Martin head against the bar, and Barry Hayles headed the rebound goalwards only for the ball to clip the top of the bar on its way over. Dunstable’s best effort of the game came on 39 minutes when Kelvin Bossman’s left-foot shot was well saved by Ashlee Jones. Towards half-time a quick Chesham break saw Ryan Blake force a diving save from Head, then from the resulting corner Barry Hayles had a header cleared off the line.

The visitors made the better start to the second half, but Chesham had the best chance when Ryan Blake ran down the right and set up Dave Pearce who side-footed the ball past Head but against the post. Five minutes later Jack Green pulled the ball back from the by-line to Shane Bush who made only the thinnest of contacts on the ball. At the other end Brett Longden played the ball back into the visitors’ area after a corner was cleared, and Mat Mitchel-King headed across goal to Barry Hayles who mishit the ball high and wide. However the visitors were now on top but without creating any chances, although midway through the half Kelvin Bossman shot powerfully from the edge of the area but straight at Ashlee Jones. The last quarter of the game saw Chesham struggle to get out of their own half, while the visitors failed to make use of all their possession and the game petered tamely out.
Benji Crilley 2 Zack Reynolds
Brett Longden 3 Gedeon Okita
Mat Mitchel-King 4 Danny Talbot
Darren Purse 5 Jack Lampe
Adam Martin 6 Adam Pepera
Dave Pearce 7 Kelvin Bossman
Matt Taylor 8 Danny Green
Barry Hayles 9 Shane Bush
Brad Wadkins 10 David Longe-King
Ryan Blake 11 Jack Green
Drew Roberts 12 Vences Bola
Sam Youngs 14 Sam Baffour
Toby Little 15 Adam Moussi
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 16 Jack Smith
Taylor McKenzie 17 -
Used Substitutes
Little For Longden 60   Baffour For J Green 63
Youngs For Martin 67   Bola For Talbot
Roberts For Hayles 76    
Blake 8    
    Talbot 61
    Okita 64
    Pepera 89