Evostik League South Logo

The Evostick League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 24th September 2016

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 292

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Cirencester Town
Man Of The Match
Brett Longden
Ashlee Jones 1 Harvey Rogers After two straight league defeats Chesham got back to winning ways against struggling Cirencester. Chesham were always in control of the game, particularly after an early goal against opponents who rarely looked like scoring. The afternoon was marred only by a late injury which saw Brett Longden stretchered off, and by a stoppage-time red card for Stephan Hamilton-Forbes.

After Tuesday night’s FA Cup win over Sevenoaks, Sam Youngs replaced the injured Toby Little in the only change to the side. After four minutes Drew Roberts sprinted clear onto Adam Martin’s through pass only to shoot high and wide with only keeper Harvey Rivers to beat. Chesham took the lead eight minutes later with a goal that was something of a gift. Stephan Hamilton-Forbes shot from the edge of the area, Rivers moved to his left to save but Aidan Bennett stuck out a leg and diverted the ball into the opposite corner of the net. Chesham remained in control and came close twice from Sam Youngs corners, first when Darren Purse’s header was cleared off the line by Andy Elcock, then another Youngs corner was missed by everyone at the near post and came to Adam Martin who could only head over. However on 33 minutes Drew Roberts seized on Kyle Lapham’s headed back-pass, ran to the by-line on the left and squared the ball to Barry Hayles who slid in to make it 2-0. Shortly afterwards the visitors had a free kick which Lee Smith took and Ross Langworthy’s glancing header flew harmlessly across goal, but that was the sum total of the action in the first half.

Early in the second half Mat Mitchel-King met a Dave Pearce corner at the near post but his header was cleared off the line. Shortly before the hour mark an Ashlee Jones free kick was controlled by Sam Youngs, who played a one-two with Barry Hayles and shot but Rivers blocked at the expense of a corner. Youngs took the kick which was cleared as far as Drew Roberts on the edge of the area, Roberts shot goalwards and Barry Hayles got a touch with his head to deflect the ball past Rivers for Chesham’s third. Midway through the half Dave Pearce set up Drew Roberts whose shot beat Rivers but came back off the post. Sam Youngs then shot from the edge of the area but Rivers dived to his left to claw the ball away. On 73 minutes Cirencester had their best moment of the game, when Charlie Griffin’s free kick forced Ashlee Jones to dive to his left to save, Matt Liddiard collected the loose ball and squared to Griffin who sliced his shot wide. As the game reached its closing stages a Sam Youngs corner came to Drew Roberts, who chested the ball down at the far post but volleyed over the bar. Ten minutes from time Brett Longden was forced to go off on a stretcher with an ankle injury, then in stoppage time Stephan Hamilton-Forbes went into a tackle on Ollie Knight with both feet and was shown a straight red card.
Brett Longden 2 Kyle Lapham
Mat Mitchell-King 3 Aidan Bennett
Benji Crilley 4 James Coates
Darren Purse 5 Matt Liddiard
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 6 Ben Brown
Dave Pearce 7 Lee Smith
Sam Youngs 8 Andy Elcock
Barry Hayles 9 Charlie Griffin
Drew Roberts 10 Ross Langworthy
Adam Martin 11 Ollie Knight
Ryan Blake 12 Adam Connolly
Matt Taylor 14 Kalum Youngsam
Brad Wadkins 15 Sam Farr
Bruce Wilson 16 Jody Bevan
Ronnel Dennis 17 James Mortimer-Jones
Used Substitutes
Blake For Hayles 63   Youngsam For Smith 69
Taylor For Martin 71   Farr For Lapham 81
Wilson For Longden 82    
Bennett OG 12    
Hayles 33, 59    
    Hilliard 57
Sent Off
Hamilton-Forbes 90+2