Evostik League South Logo

The Evostik League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 4th March 2017

The Meadow, Chesham

Attendance 310

Match Sponsored By Cox, Costello & Horne Accountants

Match Ball Sponsored By Len Vockins

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Cinderford Town
Man Of The Match
Darren Purse
Ashlee Jones 1 Cameron Clarke Chesham kept alive their slim hopes of a play-off place with this narrow win over the division’s bottom side. Cinderford came into this game having taken ten points from their previous four games, but Chesham clinched the game with a penalty in first-half stoppage time and held on against ten men in the second half.

Barry Hayles joined the injured list after Tuesday’s defeat at Leamington, but Ryan Blake was fit enough to take his place up front. The other changes saw Brett Longden replace Toby Little and David Hutton come in for Stephan Hamilton-Forbes. With Matt Taylor a late withdrawal through illness Chesham were only able to name four substitutes, including Andrew McCorkell as cover for Ashlee Jones in goal. With a hard pitch and a swirling wind this was unlikely to be a classic, and Chesham had the better of the opening minutes but Cinderford had the first effort on goal when Sam Hicks’ shot was comfortably saved by Ashlee Jones. Two minutes later Sam Youngs shot for goal from 25 yards but the ball flew just wide. On 24 minutes Chesham won a free kick in a dangerous position, and David Hutton’s kick beat keeper Cameron Clarke but came back off the bar.

Both sides had further efforts on goal, Jarrad Welch shooting wide from a dangerous position while Sam Youngs had another long-range effort which flew just wide. However on 33 minutes Darren Purse needed treatment after a late tackle from Craig Norman that the referee decided was reckless, and showed the Cinderford man a straight red card. Chesham dominated the rest of the half but only broke through in stoppage time, when Cinderford struggled to clear a corner and Darren Purse attempted to go round Dan Clare on the edge of the area only for Clare to block him off. The referee was right on the spot to give a penalty which Purse himself converted.

Early in the second half Ryan Blake’s shot was fumbled by Clarke who managed to hold on at the second attempt, then Cinderford had their best effort of the match when Jarrad Welch’s long-range effort flew just over. Chesham had two further efforts from Ryan Blake and Dave Pearce that were off target, then midway through the half Jarrad Welch’s free kick flew a couple of yards wide. In the later stages Chesham looked content to see the game out, but frequently lost possession and allowed Cinderford to come at them. However the visitors were lacking in ideas and did not bring on a single substitute to refresh their depleted attack. A bad-tempered game ended with a rush of bookings, before the referee’s whistle brought an end to a forgettable afternoon.
Brett Longden 2 Isaac Kelly
Benji Crilley 3 James Bloom
Mat Mitchel-King 4 Josh Nelmes
Darren Purse 5 Dan Clare
Adam Martin 6 Jack Alderdice
Dave Pearce 7 Sam Hicks
Sam Youngs 8 Jarrad Welch
Ryan Blake 9 Craig Norman
Phil Roberts 10 Karnell Chambers
David Hutton 11 Nick Harphy
Toby Little 12 Shaun Parry
Andrew McCorkell 13 -
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 14 Callum McOnie
Shaun Reece 15 Elliot Ford
- 17 Miles John
- 18 Ben Hands
Used Substitutes
Hamilton-Forbes For Martin 71    
Little For Blake 75    
Purse Pen 45+2    
Roberts 83   Alderdice 22
Longden 90+1   Nelmes 88
Sent Off
    Norman 33