Evostik League South Logo

The Evostik League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 22nd October 2016

The Causeway, Cinderford

Attendance 151

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Cinderford Town
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Benji Crilley
Ben Fletcher 1 Ashlee Jones Chesham made hard work of overcoming the league’s bottom side. Cinderford’s manager and assistant left the club during the week after a run of nine games that brought only one point, but Chesham failed to make their possession count although they were always in control of the game after Drew Roberts’ penalty.

Stephan Hamilton-Forbes came into the starting line-up in place of the suspended Adam Martin, and the only other change saw Brad Wadkins start in place of Barry Hayles. Chesham took control of the game from the start, and in the second minute Dave Pearce had a shot blocked after Drew Roberts crossed from the left. However for all their possession Chesham could not create any further chances until the 25th minute, when Ryan Blake’s cross was hastily cleared and Matt Taylor shot over the bar. In the next minute a quickly-taken free kick sent Benji Crilley away down the right, Crilley’s cross found Brad Wadkins who seemed sure to score but could only side-foot the ball across the goal and onto the post. Two minutes later Matt Taylor’s long throw was not dealt with by the home defence, and the ball came to Darren Purse at the far post who shot over. Drew Roberts then had a shot blocked after Ryan Blake pulled the ball back from the right, then Mat Mitchel-King headed over from a Drew Roberts corner. However Chesham broke through shortly before half-time when Benji Crilley broke forward, cut in towards the penalty area and was brought down by Matt Long. The referee thought that the contact was just inside the area and gave a penalty, which Drew Roberts converted.

At half-time Cinderford brought on defender Nick Rhodes and restored top scorer Gethyn Hill to his normal place in attack. However the pattern of the game remained the same, with Chesham’s only worthwhile effort coming from Drew Roberts whose curling effort was well held by home keeper Ben Fletcher. Chesham needed a second goal to kill off the game but could not find one, and on 65 minutes the home team threatened for the first time when Karnell Chambers crossed and Jack Camm’s header was comfortably saved by Ashlee Jones. Shortly afterwards a long clearance from Jones was brought down by Brad Wadkins, who tried to set up Dave Pearce but got too much on the ball which rolled harmlessly through to Fletcher. On 84 minutes Ashlee Jones was called into serious action for the only time, when Gethyn Hill shot from the edge of the area but Jones dived to his right to hold the ball. The home team tried to mount a late bid for an equaliser, but Chesham saw out the game without any further alarms.
Miles John 2 Benji Crilley
Matt Long 3 Bruce Wilson
Lee Hartshom 4 Mat Mitchell-King
Gethyn Hill 5 Darren Purse
Jack Camm 6 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Sam Hicks 7 Dave Pearce
Callum McOnie 8 Matt Taylor
Jaye Bowen 9 Brad Wadkins
Blaine Waugh 10 Drew Roberts
Karnell Chambers 11 Ryan Blake
Billy Guest 12 Barry Hayles
Harry Burns 14 Sam Youngs
Mitchell Howells 15 Toby Little
Nick Rhodes 16 Taylor McKenzie
Steve Bowles 17 Ronnel Dennis
Used Substitutes
Rhodes For McOnie 45   Youngs For Blake 70
    Little For Roberts 77
    Hayles For Pearce 80
    Roberts Pen 42
Bowen 41   Mitchel-King 86
Waugh 67