Evostik League South Logo

The Evostik League Southern Premier Division

Saturday 28th January 2017

Westwood Road, St Ives

Attendance 194

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Cambridge City
Chesham United
Man Of The Match
Sam Youngs
Dean Snedker 1 Andrew McCorkell Chesham went down to their first defeat in eleven league games as the home team’s rebuilt side looked to move away from the bottom of the table. Despite missing five regulars Chesham took an early lead, but conceded three times before the interval - including two from corners - and rarely looked like retrieving the situation in the second half.

The starting eleven was the same as for the abandoned game at Banbury in midweek. Ashlee Jones, Darren Purse and Brad Wadkins were all missing through injury although Jones was named on the bench as emergency cover for keeper Andrew McCorkell, who was making his first appearance for two months. Purse was replaced by Curtis Ujah who re-signed for the club during the week, while Barry Hayles replaced Wadkins in attack. In addition Adam Martin was suspended, so new signing David Hutton made his first start. Loan signing Oran Swales made his debut as a second-half substitute, while Taylor McKenzie returned on the bench after being unavailable for Banbury because of illness. The early stages were fairly even, although it was clear that both sides would struggle to play passing football on a poor pitch. Drew Roberts had a shot blocked after Benji Crilley’s throw came to him in the area, then at the other end Matt Foy’s cross was cleared as far as Harry Norman who shot wide. In the seventeenth minute Toby Little’s free kick from the centre circle was cleared to Sam Youngs, whose dipping shot from 25 yards found the top corner of the net to give Chesham the lead. Cambridge came back with Goldy Capela firing over after a break down the left, but the game was turned on its head when the home team scored three times in the last fifteen minutes of the half. On 32 minutes Harry Norman’s right-wing corner was met by Jordan Gent at the far post whose header was saved, but Gent netted from the loose ball. Chesham could have retaken the lead in the next minute, when Drew Roberts set up David Hutton whose shot was just wide of the post. However Cambridge scored again on 40 minutes when Matt Foy broke away, Benji Crilley hesitated and Foy shot past the advancing Andrew McCorkell. In the third minute of stoppage time Chesham again failed to deal with a Harry Norman corner and Foy headed in at the far post to make it 3-1.

Chesham started the second half on the attack but rarely threatened to get back in the game. Just before the hour mark Darren Foxley’s angled drive was saved by Andrew McCorkell, and Foy netted the loose ball but was flagged offside. Midway through the half Toby Little found some space down the left and shot across goal, then Ryan Blake broke clear but took a heavy touch and keeper Dean Snedker dived on the ball. Late in the game the referee waved away appeals for a penalty when Sam Youngs’ shot hit Ross Paterson on the arm. Curtis Ujah had two headers from corners, one of which went behind off a defender and one which flew wide of the far post. In stoppage time Toby Little’s corner was headed back across goal by Drew Roberts, and Sam Youngs’ header and follow-up were blocked.
Ben Robinson 2 Benji Crilley
Paul Cooper 3 Toby Little
Harry Norman 4 Mat Mitchel-King
Jordan Gent 5 Curtis Ujah
Jordan Williams 6 Matt Taylor
Ollie Snaith 7 David Hutton
Ross Paterson 8 Sam Youngs
Goldy Capela 9 Barry Hayles
Matt Foy 10 Drew Roberts
Darren Foxley 11 Ryan Blake
Charlie Woolfe 12 Stephan Hamilton-Forbes
Buster Harradine 14 Brett Longden
Manny Osei 15 Oran Sawles
Ryan Sharman 16 Taylor McKenzie
Salim Relizano 17/13 Ashlee Jones
Used Substitutes
Osei For Capela 76   Swales For Hutton 70
Relizani For Snaith 79   Longden For Hayles 82
Woolfe For Foy 89    
Gent 32   Youngs 17
Foy 40, 45+3    
    Youngs 78