Evostik League South Logo

FA Trophy First Round Proper Replay

Tuesday 15th December 2015

The Meadow, Chesham

Match Report By Simon Newbury

Chesham United
Att 356
Torquay United
Man Of The Match
Dave Pearce
Shane Gore 1/21 Dan Lavercombe Chesham finally went out of the FA Trophy after two early goals put Torquay in command of this First Round Replay. Chesham had the better of the early stages but Torquay scored against the run of play, and a second goal three minutes later effectively settled the outcome.

With George Fenton kept out by the injury sustained in the first encounter on Sunday, Nick Beasant returned to the centre of defence and Sam Youngs replaced Kelvin Bossman who was on the bench. Torquay made three changes from Sunday’s starting line-up. The pitch had stood up well to the day’s rain, apart from an area in one goalmouth which needed a bit of work before kick-off to clear some standing water. After a quiet opening 15 minutes in which Chesham had had more of the possession, Chesham created the first chance when Dave Pearce crossed into the area after a corner had been cleared and the ball was just cleared away at the far post. Sam Youngs took the corner from the left and Curtis Ujah’s header was just wide of the far post. Torquay had made little impression but on 24 minutes Shepherd Murombedzi, who had been booked just a minute earlier for a foul on Dave Pearce, crossed from the by-line and the ball eventually dropped to Andre Wright who netted from close range. Three minutes later Kevin Nicholson’s right-wing corner was headed in by Wright at the far post to make it 2-0. There was little else of note in the first half, although on 40 minutes Dan Butler shot over from a good position after Louis Briscoe had set him up. In stoppage time Murombedzi’s shot across the face of the Chesham goal nearly turned into a pass to Andre Wright, but he was unable to reach it.

Chesham brought on Kelvin Bossman for the second half for Barry Hayles. Shortly before the hour mark a neat move down the Chesham left saw Matt Taylor cross just ahead of the incoming Ryan Blake at the far post. In the next minute Chesham’s real chance came and went, when Kelvin Bossman intercepted Angus MacDonald’s poor pass and broke clear, only to lift the ball high and wide as Dan Lavercombe came out. With Torquay content to sit on their lead and wait for breakaways, Shane Gore had to be alert to turn away shots from Dan Butler and Andre Wright. Chesham still had their moments, and Kelvin Bossman seemed to have won the ball cleanly from MacDonald and advanced on goal but the referee gave a foul. Toby Little’s 30-yard free kick was comfortably saved by Lavercombe, then Dave Pearce’s ball in to the area was flicked on by Sam Youngs but Lavercombe was able to save. With three minutes to go Aman Verma headed wide from a short corner routine, then Verma’s long-range effort took a large deflection and looped over. Chesham had the last effort on goal deep into stoppage time, when Adam Martin shot wide of the near post after a left-wing corner had been cleared.
Ashley Smith 2/26 Simon Heslop
Toby Little 3/5 Angus MacDonald
Nick Beasant 4/22 Ben Gerring
Curtis Ujah 5/24 Kevin Nicholson
Matt Taylor 6/11 Shepherd Murombedzi
Dave Pearce 7/25 Aman Verma
Sam Youngs 8/3 Daniel Butler
Ryan Blake 9/7 Louis Briscoe
Barry Hayles 10/17 Alex Fisher
Adam Martin 11/28 Andre Wright
Kelvin Bossman 12/1 Fabian Spiess
Callum Woodcock 14/23 Will Hancox
Stephan Hamilton-Forbes 15/30 Sean Finch
George Casey 16 -
Chris Cutler 17 -
Used Substitutes
Bossman for Hayles 45   Finch for Fisher 85
Casey for Smith 74   Hancox for Briscoe 90+5
Woodcock for Taylor 84    
    Wright 24,27
Beasant 51   Murombedzi 23
    Butler 31
    Briscoe 45+2
    Gerrign 90+1